Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Or Amp And Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pawn, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Pawn

Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Hello, I am new to playing the bass. I'm going to get a GSR200 because of all the good reviews. Now on the AMP...I made a thread asking about combos and decided a used peavey would be the way to go, but i was wondering if a getting a amp and cab would be a better way to go. I dont need a huge Amp just something that can be heard over a drummer and guitar. Maybe i could evean make the Cab...

Thanks.

2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Look at the FAQ thread, there's a lot more to building a cab than you might know. If you're just going to be practicing solo for recrational purposes for some time, I'd say a combo is the way to go. Really, just to save money, I'd look at the Ibanez starter. Once you're entirely sure you're going to stick with the hobby and have application for a bigger amp, I'd go the stack route.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    And Never be afraid to look for used amps. I know that the used Peaveys are pretty much all in good condition because I've heard that they're close to indestructable (speakers anwyays...mine sounds pretty good too)

Heads up...get at least 60 watts though. Anything less and you start playing with other people you won't be heard.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    How much $$ are you willing to spend?

And like I have said before, my peavey tnt gets the job done fine with 2 guitarists who have 120 watt 212 combo's.

And trust me they like to play loud, which gives me more reason to crush em :D .

Stick with the peavey, unless you ABSOLUTLEY need a head and a cab to be heard, and if you are playing large shows, where the PA isn't there.

-Rob

5. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1 on the Peavey combos. They are incredibly loud for their rated wattages and really easy to find used. The tone is a little "flat" or "mono" sounding (for lack of a better description), but once in a band setting it's really hard to notice. I've been using Peavey combos and heads for years. Loved every one of them! Previous posts are correct. Virtually indestructable.

6. Pawn

Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Hmm..so looks like the peavey combo is Still the way to go. The most i want to spend is $300.

Thanks for all the help

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

You couldn't get s@*%# with 300$ if you wanted to get a head and a cab anyways.

Get the peavey......

-Rob

8. Pawn

Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Hmm...peavey it is....

9. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Just reviewed your question, and I think I may have focused on "Peavey" more than the actual question of combo vs. head/cab.

Since combos tend to cost a little less (and are easier to cart around), most of us start with them and graduate to a head/cab rig. The head/cab will allow you to change your rig without replacing all components, where a combo is more limiting in that respect (you probably already know this!).

After playing a variety of bands with both types of rigs, I tend to recommend going with a combo for convenience. This is especially true if a combo will be loud enough to keep up with the other instruments in the band. As a rule, set a budget and buy the best combo that the budget will allow. Also consider looking at combos that have a "Speaker Out" jack. These will allow you to add a speaker cabinet for better volume when you need it. (Be careful here-- some speaker out jacks require you to unplug or defeat the internal speaker, thus you'll loose some of the potential available speaker area).

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that there's a million guys/gals on this Forum that have graduated to a big head/cab rig only to go back to a nice combo later (I've done exactly that). As often as not, we are just as happy with the quality combo as we were with the 200 pounds of racked gear in most venues!

BTW- All Peaveys are rated to 2ohm loads. This means that (if the combo has a Speaker Out jack) you can add a 4ohm speaker to the combo and play at ridiculous volumes!!

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Yup thats true, ony the back of my peavey tnt there is a speaker jack out and it says minimum of 4ohms. So I could hook up another 4ohm 1x15 or 2x10 or 4x10 to it and get a total of 200 watts.

-Rob

11. Pawn

Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Thanks for all the help :hyper: