Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo or cab? More specifically--ohm output...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Knavery, May 25, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello everyone,
    I have an Avatar 212 (4ohm) with a Behringer BX3000T head(4ohm). My problem is that my band is starting back up and I'll be transporting this equipment over to our practice space. Now, I'll need a practice amp (for home), but I'm having problems deciding what to get and would like your advice.

I could either buy another 4 ohm cab, and transport the head back and fourth from practice with the plan to eventually purchase a 2 ohm head down the road. OR, I could buy a nice combo amp like the Fender Rumble 100 and keep that at home as well as use it for smaller get-togethers.

So, assuming the Avatar 212 with the Behringer 300w head is loud enough for the band, would you suggest getting another cab for home or getting a nice combo? Thanks for the feedback.

Knavery

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd go for a small combo for use at home. That's what I do. The Peavey Minx at about 35 watts and the Yorkville 50 watt are both good reliable performers. They both sound good at home volumes.

I've used a Minx for about 12 years and it hasn't failed yet. It's always handy because it never leaves home. I hate having to cart gear and hook up and unhook all the time when it's not necessary.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    In a situation like this (and you didn't mention how much you wish to spend), I'd be inclined to think in terms of backups should something fail.

Obviously, if you go in the direction of another head & cab for the house (and if your band doesn't have good low-end PA support), you have some gear that can be pressed into service if your "main" rig develops a problem shortly before a gig. If you pick up a small combo just for practice, that won't be the case.

OTOH, another 300W+ head & cab will cost more $$$$......