Combo or Head and Cab rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rathervague, Oct 13, 2004.

1. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I play Rock with a goup of guys and I'll probably be gigging soon too. I've been using some fender that belongs to a friend (I just have a practice amp that's beginning to crap out).

I've been looking at the Ashdown 300H ( probably with an avatar cab.

The alternative is a combo amp with some power (

I need something in this price range that is going to sound nice and I was wondering what your opinions were.

Please help, thanks.
  2. Ashdowns are awesome. I had the cheaper Electric Blue 150 watt 12" combo and that thing did are really good job and was only 37lbs. Newer ones are chines mande but mine was british made.

I am convinced that these are the best combos in terms of sounds, price, volume and portablility AND EVEN COSMETICS. . .

3. Avatar has Ashdown heads for sale. They are supposed to cut a deal when you buy one of their cabs, so if you decide to go that route check with them on their package deal.

BTW the B212 is a great deal right now and I think this cab sounds great. Check it out!
  4. yorkville is great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the xm200t or xm200 would be the way to0 go!!!!

but if you want to spend a little more money go for the xs400t and then later you can get a yorkville 1x15 cab, put the combo on top that would be a killer rig!
  5. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Well, I like all of your ideas and will now take the Electric Blue into consideration as well. But can anyone tell me the advantages they have over one another? I don't mean to pester anyone, I just want to know where YOU are thinking I should spend this cash and WHY.
  6. Yorkville is a fine company from Canada. The gov't actually subsidizes R&D for many companies and couple that with the exchange rate, offer great value for us yanks. I use mirage speakers in my home stereo and have Yorkville PA speakers that are awesome.

You are safe either way. The only major difference is that the ashdown will probably have a warmer sounding preamp(good for P-bass and J-basses). The ashdown will have a nicer midrange but rolled off highs. The more expensive yorkies have tube preamps, like the ashdown ABM series.

If you want more sizzle and scouped sound, maybe the yorkville will be the way to go. If you like warmer sounding bass, don't need a lot of effects and keep things simple, go with the ashdown. The ashdown will drive an ext. cab too.
    I used my little korg bass pandora in the effects loop on the ashdown and it opened up a lot of options. But you must like the sound with the controls set flat and no effects. This is why I loved the ashdown.

Also, the blue jenson-made drivers are made to sound midrangy. Bass is very linear and not boomy. And check the weight on the yorkie. If you are still split, go for the lighter one.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not gonna comment on the brands you're talking about because i have zero experience with them. Instead I'll give you my standard rant about combos vs head/cabinets.

Combos are convenient to be sure. Plug and play. You could get one that suits all your needs for years. There are some that i really like. Here's why i advocate the head/cabinets route. Ultimately it's more flexible. With a combo you always have to bring the entire thing. You can play a gig with your head and cabinets that are already there. You can bring a small cabinet to small gigs and bigger cabinets to larger gigs. If you decide to upgrade to a more powerful head but want to keep your cabinets you can. Same thing with upgrading cabinets. you can use your head as a preamp and buy a poweramp to run a whole bunch of cabinets, etc etc etc.
  8. the xm200 and xm200t can drive an extension cab to.

i would say that the yorkies would have a a better warmer sound than the ashdown mag.

i think you should pay more for the xs400t its 400watts and has 2x10s, it sounds a ton bettor over the xm series and is a lot louder, if you got this and them got a 1x15 extension cab and put them together that would be a kick ass rig!!!!!!!
  9. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I for sure can't afford the 400. It's like 150 dollars out of the highest price I would pay.
  10. Hey,
    I understand that it usually always down to cash, but when it comes to something like this, sometimes it is better to spend a little more. You don't specify what you are playing with ie, Marshall stack, heavy drummer etc...But I would recomend the Yorkville XS400. It comes in a 2x10 (xs400t) or a 1x15 (xs400) combo. Tube preamp, effects loop, turner out/mute, passive/active ins...etc etc and you can drive an extension speaker no problem. For your rock gig, this would be perfect. I use a XS400+Ampeg 15, and it sounds amazing. I can get Motorhead / KISS / AC/DC etc no time at all. The xm's are good as well, but spend a little more, and you get ALOT more in terms of power and versatility. In the end it is up to you, so make sure you try all of your choices out b4 you plunk down your hard earned money because the last thing you want is to be disappointed with your rig.
  11. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I can vouch for the Ashdown Electric Blue combos sounding "midrangey". I have the 115 and played alone they sound warm, deep and wonderful. Like a less vintage and more focused sounding Ampeg B100r. On stage they have a big midrange presence and sound different. At first I was trying to dial it out, but then I let someone else play as I listened and it fit in the mix so well. And if you want more rumble or fat lows, just hit the deep switch and you've got it all. Quite impressive for such a small combo. I know very little about acoustics, but I know when something sounds right.
  12. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I just got a reply from Dave abou the Avatar/Ashdown special. He said I could get the MAG 300H and a B210 in the low 500s once they have them back in stock. I know that you know what would probably be best but I really can't consider anything over about $550. However, I do thank you very much for your advice.
  13. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    i got my yorkville xs400 head for just under 800 canadian (thats including tax), and its worth every penny...there pretty new but who knows, you could probably find a decently priced one for maybe 600 canadian if you looked.

then pick up a cheap but decent 2x10, and you can always expand it..

ive got a brutal yorkville stage 4x10 that must be atleast 10 years old, if not older..and it almost makes me cry every time i play it..its doing my xs400 no justice, but im just too broke to do anything about it. for 150 canadian the 4x10 isnt just any peice of junk..its my peice of junk.

good luck with your choice