1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo or head and small cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    My "gig-rig" is a Carvin dcm power amp, into a dbx compressor,into an ampeg svp-pro, then a Bergantino ht212.

I love this sound, everytime I turn it on I smile. I have been out of playing though for the last couple of years concentrating on being a dad and I am now joining a new band. But I need a practice rig that is more portable.

I dont want to cart this rig around all the time but I love the sound so are there any combo's that will achieve something similar in tone? Or, should I just pull the preamp, get a smaller rack and buy a smaller (lighter) power amp and buy another cab (smaller). I would like to get out without breaking the bank but I dont mean cheap. Rogue (sp?) amps need not apply. Thanks for any help.

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I too am thinking combo amp but not just for practice, I want to be able to use it for small gigs with PA support. This past Friday for the first time, I used only my Avatar B210 with my GK1001RBI, I always take at least my SWR Goliath III 4x10 to all gigs, with either the GK or my rack filled GBE 600 w/effects, power cond, etc and sometimes the 1x15 and/or 2x10 cabs too. Alot of stuff to lug to some small gigs. I talked to the sound guy and he said he finds that when he mixes sound for other bands and the bassist uses a combo, usually a 15" kickback type, that they almost always have a buzz he has to clean out and sometimes cannot. So maybe carrying my GK in a SKB 3 space and 2x10 cab, aint so bad afterall. But I would like a combo to leave at the rehearsal room and maybe small gigs. I have read up on the Ampeg BA112/BA115, looks OK and prices are do-able, about $4 bills tops for me new. I need to get into GC soon to try em out live and see what else they might have to compare with. So good luck shopping to us.

3. Have you tried the Eden Metro? It is a 2x10 combo that will go down to 2ohms and work all day long. It has a solid state and a tube side.

It has a balsy sound. If you and the 12" cab to it it should growl.

I have one with the D210xst on it and it handles the 5string (low B) well. It works in a mid sized room, small room, jazz combo, etc.

It has wheels as well. :)

Just a thought...

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    ive gone head/cab and then combo and now back to head/cab. i think there are more options with a head cab (like switching different cabs and stuff depending on venue, etc.) that make it better than a combo. Plus, the combos are light, but ONE heavy load, whereas the head/cab can be split into two trips.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have been thinking about a metro but it sure is a heavy little bugger, I guess you cant have it all. I will need somthing that will "handle" (not necessarily reproduce it) the low b. Are there any single rack space power amps out there?

I play rock and I love the sound of that svp-pro. I would like to find a combo that would sound similar.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Sorry Markjazz We were posting at the same time. Yeah you make a good point as far as the seperates.

7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Bump

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Value and verstility wise, it's tough to beat the Yamaha BBT500H that's onsale for $349 at Musiciansfriend.com The head only weighs 10 lbs, pumps out 500 watts and can mimic damn near any head out there (11 different head sounds) and truly sounds great.

They are also blowing out the matching cabs. Get that head and 2 - 1x10 cabs or the 4x10 (I believe that Samedaymusic.com still has some Yammie 2x10's for cheap) and you really have a KILLER little lightweight rig for cheap.

9. i've mentioned this before, but i am in the same situation as thunderstik (long break from playing (kids eh?) just started up with a band etc). currently using a Peavey Max 115 combo and have to have it up on a table to hear my self cos it's only 50w, so am looking at an amp setup, like an ashdown Mag 300 115 combo or EB 115-180. or is there a head and cab in that kind of price range?

(oh i'm in the uk so U.S site might prove difficult :crying: )

10. what about something liek these small markbass heads?

11. Know a guy in a music shop who's trying to convince me to get a Markbass combo.
    Says they're lightweight & loud.
    Expensive in Ireland though. A 3x10 combo & a 15" ported extension cab will cost me about €2,300 ($2,900)!
    Can get a SVT 6 Pro & Ampeg 8x10 for the same price but he reckons I'd be better with the Markbass stuff (mainly due to the weight).
    Surely the 6 Pro & 8x10 would be a better deal?

12. check on thomann.de for markbass and alot of other brands... i would assume markbass would be cheaper in ireland than in usa... being europe and all

13. http://www.thomann.de/ie/search.html?sw=&x=7&y=10&gk=&bn=MARKBASS

14. I recommend a head and cab.

I've had both an Eden Metro and an SWR Redhead. Both are good amps and the castors make them easy to move on a level surface, but they're not much good in a gravel parking lot and they won't get you up or down stairs.

15. the markbass stuff is nice but it is silly money IMO.
    my max is about £300 or $550. not alot i know:bawl:

16. Vindy,
    I already been checking out Thomann & Music Store.
    The 3x10 combo & 1x15 is €2,200.
    If I was to get a seperate head, 4x10 & 1x15 it's still going to cost around €2,500.
    Still leaning towards the SVT 6 & 810 for €2,200

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have tried to like a combo and just can't. I have an Eden 550 head and a 210XST (on the way) cab and it's better than any combo. It is easier to haul and more veritile. Almost any head/cab will be easier to haul than a combo - at least a combo that will do anything more than work in your bedroom or maybe for rehearsal.

I wish that magic combination of great tone, high power, light-weight, small-size and reasonable cost were out there, but it isn't - at least not for me.

18. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I think the yammy loks good but I dont know about the tone. Will it get a little thick and dirty? Im not a fan of squeaky clean.

19. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    +1 on the Yamaha set-up ... 349 for that head is outrageous ... and the 110's are amazing ... one of each for 499 ... I am a little leary of the 210 or the 410 however ... not the same driver as the 110 uses ... I would probably opt for an Avatar 210 if I was to go that way ...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021