1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo or Head & Cab..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanez Bassist, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Im looking to purchase an amp that I can gig with, I wanted something around 500 watts, (give or take a little) and preferably under $900.00, In your opinion is it better to have something like the Peavey Tour ( TNT or TKO ) or split it up between a head and a cab. or two.. Maybe by the head and one cab now and an additional cab later..
    Thanks

2. If you can raise your budget to about $1100 you will open up so many options on great gear on the used market.

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Are you referring to Craigs List and (or) eBay ?

4. Or the TB classifieds. The way I see it:

You can go to the store and buy a brand new head for $600, or you can look on (Craigslist, Kijiji, the classifieds) and find a nice $1000+ amp for around $600. I used to only buy new, but I've been scoping out my local Kijiji recently and have scored a few GREAT deals on some pro level gear. You just have to be patient and wait for the right thing to pop up.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, personally, I like a separate head so that I can choose speakers accordingly as to what is needed. But, combos have their place, too, especially when it comes to small gigs when a nice little lightweight rig can be all you need---no extra packages, no extra hook-ups, etc. Kinda nice to have both, if you can afford it, but if I had to just go one way I'd go with separate components, purely for their versatility.

6. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    @dukeisdog**I do have time so I can probably shop (look) around for a while and see if anything pops up that is what Im looking for..

@Russell L**I do like the versatility of separate and also the look, but as far as sounds, some of these combos give you a bunch of choices and if you were to add an FX Pod of some sort you would probably be able to get any sound you wanted.. but now your dealing with x-tra wires and pieces again..

Its a tough choice, I already have some combos but nothing of really large wattage, so thats why I was considering something like the Peavey Tour (for example)..

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    *I* wholeheartedly agree with all the above...and operate accordingly ;)

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    As a "for instance," check out the Markbass Jeff Berlin combo for one that gives plenty of volume and is very lightweight and portable, too. Not cheap, but hey...

9. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Yea, I dont know if Markbass is in my price range for the wattage Im trying to get.. I know its premier stuff, but larger equip. just might be out of my range.. but I will look around..

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Looking to get more volume by wattage alone is a big mistake. Having more speakers is a much better plan. I'm not a fan of combo amps for gigging, unless they are capable of adding an ext. cab, which most are not. Even then, the best you get is a 1x15 combo with a 1x15 ext cab, or a 2x10 combo with a 2x10 ext cab. Much better to get a head with 300-500 watts, (or more), paired with as many speakers as it takes to get the volume you want.

11. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    It sure is convenient to have head and speaker in one package. After many years of setting up and tearing down, you look for any way to streamline the process.

However, if you're just starting out, and on a limited budget, you may have different priorities.

I guess you need to take stock of your own preferences re.:

Convenience
    Flexibility
    Weight
    Cost

I have different setups for different size/loudness gigs. I now go combo for everything but the loudest.
    But if you have to start out with a single system, you need it to go as loud as you're going to need.

If so, a combo that covers your loudest possible gig could end up being a monster that wrecks your back. In that case, splitting it up between head and cab makes sense.

Mind you these days there is some great light weight gear that may or may not meet your tone goals.

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I do both, and each gig dictates what I bring. There is nothing easier than rolling in a combo to a gig, if it can cover your needs. My only caveat is, if the combo goes down, you are screwed. I always bring a DI to the gig anyways, so no biggie if this happens, and I need to go through the PA.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've been taking my old Bassman 150 to jams. It's not so light, but it is less trouble, and the 150w is enough for these particular jams in small rooms at low-to-moderate volume.

14. +1

Wattage doesn't equal volume, speaker area does. A combo with 1,000 watts and one speaker is only going to get as loud as that one speaker can get. This limit is the excursion limit of the speaker, not the rated wattage which is the thermal limit and has not correlation to volume.