Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo or NO Combo - That IS the Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Okay my fellow TB'ers, It's time again for the "What would be the best way to go" when I ask the age old question: Should I keep using my Aggie 210 cab and get a much lighter, easier to carry, yet versatille amp instead of dragging my DB728, heavier then my car, but ya just gotta love that tube sound amp to my smaller gigs OR just purchase a nice single speaker combo (ie: Mesa's Walkabout Scout, AG500SC-112c, EA's anything, etc) instead and pass the 210 on to a more needy player? I would still keep the 728 for my bigger shows (I also have a 410 cab) But, I really don't need that kind of volume for the smaller shows. I'm playing classic rock for the most part on these small venue shows (100 people or less) Sometimes with acoustic guitars and sometimes with a full band that does get somewhat loud but not at ear bleeding levels. I'm fatter/warmer low end tone guy and don't really hit the bright/slap styles much. Money's not a huge issue but I would like keep it civil.. say below the $2000 mark. I've searched a ton of threads and have few ideas but as always, I would like a second (or third) opinion before I jump from people who know because they play, not because they get a commission check. Any and all suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would normally say to just turn it down and deal with the weight issues. When you have nice gear like you do, the weight can be bearable. :D

When I saw that second comment I quoted, my opinion changed. If you are set on a single speaker combo for under $2000, go get yourself the iAMP500C, or the Epifani UL112C. Both are lightweight, and sound killer. I think you may find the EA to be too sterile for what you dig, so you can naturally shift to the AG500-112C from Aguilar. With that combo, you'll have your big rig sound in a one hand box. No guessing on how it will sound. :D

-Mike

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Well I carry my 359 with 2 heavy 12's to jazz gigs so I think you should as well. The 728 is the king of magical amps.

4. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

QUOTE=quallabone]Well I carry my 359 with 2 heavy 12's to jazz gigs so I think you should as well. The 728 is the king of magical amps.[/QUOTE]

LMAO - Thanks but that's what I'm trying to avoid. It's not I don't love what I have but it's just not that practicable sometimes in a small stage set up. When I bought what I have a few years back, the sales guy told me "You'll gonna hate this stuff every time you move it, but go "Oh yeah" every time you play through it!" And he was right. But I'm getting to be an old dude who just getting lazy and I don't want to lug the heavy stuff out for a small show. The 210 isn't bad weight wise, but the 728 is a bit cumbersome. I just thought that having a backup combo amp or even just a lighter amp would be cool for just this kind of situation as long as I could find something that would have a similar tone to what I'm using now. Quick in, quick out. No fuss or muss.

5. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I don't think the AG500/112 combo is easy to carry. It just won't balance right.
    However, the AG500 (in a rackbag) and two GS112 are easily carried, and if you play an electric you can have it in a gig bag on your back.
    So I'd vote for a lightweight separates rig, and probably just the GS210 with a AG500.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I think that combo balances as nicely as any speaker cabinet or combo does.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    AG500
    +
    second hand GS112
    +
    the GS210 you already have (hope it's 8ohm)

The Agie 112 and 210 are an odd looking stack, but they sure sound great together.

You can run the 210 by itself for smaller stuff.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto

LMAO - Thanks but that's what I'm trying to avoid. It's not I don't love what I have but it's just not that practicable sometimes in a small stage set up. When I bought what I have a few years back, the sales guy told me "You'll gonna hate this stuff every time you move it, but go "Oh yeah" every time you play through it!" And he was right. But I'm getting to be an old dude who just getting lazy and I don't want to lug the heavy stuff out for a small show. The 210 isn't bad weight wise, but the 728 is a bit cumbersome. I just thought that having a backup combo amp or even just a lighter amp would be cool for just this kind of situation as long as I could find something that would have a similar tone to what I'm using now. Quick in, quick out. No fuss or muss.[/QUOTE]

Just tried the new Mark Bass Little Mark II on a live gig in place of my EA iAmp800. The little sucker blew away the iAmp. At under 6 pounds it's easy to carry and you can match it with any lightweight cab you want. The Mark Bass stuff is amazing! It is LOUD and has a really fast attack. If you like the vintage sound, dial in the VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) to the degree that suits you.

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    It would seem that the more logical (and most cost effective) way would be to purchase a separate, lighter amp. The AG500/SC would more then do the trick and lend me the fatter bass tones I desire. Not to say others wouldn't but being a Aggie fan already...

Of course now I'm very interested in the Schroeder Cabs and as it turns out, Jorg Schroeder is only 10 minutes from my house.

Smaller Cab - lighter amp - Life is good and my back don't hurt!

Thanks to all for you input. Sometimes it seems like there's a thousand choices and I want one of each.... burp... Damn GAS!

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    WIMP! Buy an 810 and keep the 728. Come on.. Keep the chiropractors in business.

11. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

HEY..... I resemble that remark!

The 728 ain't going nowhere! Just wanted a lighter amp for the ....uh... lighter shows!

My best friend is a Chiropractor -
    Thats why he's my friend!

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    By All Means!

Updated recommendation:
    AG500 + Schroeder 1210 (IMO, this Schroe will replace a GS112 + GS210 and leave you grinning).

13. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

The 1212 looks pretty damn interesting too! I'm certainly not above changing out my cabs for a more efficient set up!

I'll keep ya posted!

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've searched forever trying to find a combo amp that does it all in a small, light, easy to haul package.

It just doesn't exist.

You are far better off with a small, light, portable and powerful head and a small, light, portable cab.

15. ajb2804

ajb2804

Apr 30, 2005
    AZ
    You could also consider just getting a smaller cabinet.I have a combo and an ext.cab but I think it would be cool to have a head suitable for anything and just bring appropriate cabs.You could look at 1-12s or even a 2-8 like the LDS written up in Bass Player this month.That could give you a smaller set up and not sacrafice the sound.

16. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

I'm coming to the same conclussion on both counts. But like I said on my last posts, I don't think I'd ever part with my DB728. Heavy, yes. The best sounding amp I've ever used? Most definitely! I've also used it to record with, not just with bass and it really gives a rightous tone to anything we've plugged through it. I'm contacting Schroder Cabs this weekend and set up a get together to check out his products. If it's anything like what everyone been raving about, I think I know which way I'll be going.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->