Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo or Stack? The ultimate poll?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Combo

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. Stack

88 vote(s)
    83.8%
  1. Combo or Stack? Do you like to have it one nice neat package or have the option to switch speakers and heads with ease? I am a stack man for that exact reason.

2. both have their advantages

but i just am biased towards stacks, i dont know why - if a combo is 10 times better i'd still take the stack

3. dude, this thread should be titled "does anyone out there in the entire world use combos?" Then there would be like 10 people that say "nope, no one." then you'd have your answer. :smug:

I'll vote for your amusement.

and, dude, this is definitely not the "ultimate" poll. :rollno:

4. its suprising how dominant stack is

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I voted combo, though I own both types. A GK MB150E combo is sufficient for about 80% of my gigs. When it needs to be louder, I have a GK Backline 600 head that sits on top of a DIY speaker.

My view is that there is simply a point of diminishing returns on combo amps, where they get too unwieldy, and a stack becomes more portable.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I voted combo. I do enough small gigs that I like having one neat package. For larger, or louder, gigs I add another cab. If I really need to, I can remove the head from the combo and use it with different cabs. Or use the cabs with another head.

So, I guess I like combos for the option to switch speakers and heads with ease ;)

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    stack for power. combos with a lot of power are also like extremely expensive.

8. :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :rollno:

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Eh, neither get a DI box...

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How do you like the Backline?

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Got one, almost never get to use it. Most of the time the P.A. is just not powerful enough.

12. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I voted combo. Mesa Walkabout Scout. Bass in one hand, combo in the other...best way to travel in my opinion.

Jason

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have both. My combo is no slouch. I can get by with that and bring an extension if I need it. My big gun stack is just that. Big and heavy.

14. Does this mean you don't use an amp for a monitor on stage?

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    stack

16. Stack. Power and Portibility.

Sure, there are some powerful combo's (Ashdown comes to mind) but it seems easier to me to transport to seperate things than lug around one large (and most likely heavy as hell) unit.

I'm all for combo's in the bedroom though. But oh how I love waking up the old people who live next door with my stack plus my Big Muff...:D

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I like both, depending on the purpose - although my best sound is out of my stack...

- georgestrings

18. Stack

19. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    i use a combo, GK400RB115, and i had a BLX210 cab. So i use a stack, and a combo :p

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's just simply not true,dude. I have both, and there are combos like the Eden Metro, 410's @ 500 watts you can gig with, and it will take another cab. My NC210 can be used for small venues, I own 2 combo's and 2 stacks. From 250 watts to 1200. They all have thier purpose.
    I didn't vote because I use both and there is no option and I don't feel the need to "amuse" anyone.