Combo or Stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassoProfundo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. BassoProfundo

Jan 24, 2005
    First post, great forum :)

Anyways, I've been playing for about two and a half years, and recently got my first "real" bass, an SR4. Love it to death, so the instrument isnt my problem. Before and after I got the bass, my Crate MXB50 amp presented itself to be a problem in band situations (mainly in volume; i can barely hear myself over the drums, and they're not that loud) and recently, I've noticed I can do alot better with tone as well. I've read on this forum about combos far better than mine for about the same price, but I just received the Musicians Friend catalog in the mail and saw a GK half stack for under $500. That's pretty much my price range, as I am not a gigging bassist (although not opposed to it, just can't find a band) and have no real need to blow the doors off of my bedroom, literally and metaphorically.

So my question is, would it be worth it to get a "rig" (specifically the GK, unless there's anything else below $500 out there), or just a nice combo? I figure 100W would be fine for getting myself heard, and i don't want to be held back by my lousy Crate if the need arises for a band situation.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Before I get flamed for buying a Crate, it was GC's fault. I asked what I would need to be heard, and sound good and apparently it was a perfect match. :scowl: I'm never making an uninformed decision again.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm sure its the GK backline you're speaking of... Personally, I'd stay away from them. You won't be all that much better off than you are now with regards to tone or volume overall.

Look used locally, on here, and on ebay or There are plenty of deals to be had. Be patient!

I'd think that an Ashdown combo of some sort should easily fit in your budget (some even new) and be more bang for the buck with good overall tone and volume. I had an EB-112 (120W, I think) that was just about enough oomph for a moderately loud drummer in the small practice space we utilized. Their newer EB-models boast 180W or so for a little more headroom... They're worth a look at least. :cool:
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Get a combo that gives you enough watts and the ability to add an extension cab later on.

Look for something around 200-300 watts into an 8 ohm combo (that would go up to 400-600 watts with another 8 ohm extension cabinet later) that would allow you to keep up with louder band at some point in the future.

Do a search in the amp forum for "combos"...lots of info.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have done both. Good things about each setup. Considering your current situation, I would go with a combo. Keep your eyes open for an Ampeg B100R, Eden Nemesis, or Ashdown.

A good combo will do you good, even to start out if you do get into a band. Once you start gigging, you can always get a big stack, and keep the combo for practice.

5. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    if I wanted to add another cab to that ashdown 219 later, could I?
  6. BassoProfundo

Jan 24, 2005
    On second thought, I tried an SWR Workingman's 2x10 at GC last weekend and loved it. Would getting the Workingman's 15, 12, or 10, be worth it? I figure I can lower the price a couple (read: $50-$100) if i sell my crate. Opinions?
  7. i would say half stack,

gk 700rb II and a 4x10
  8. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The WM series is better than a GK Backline but I'd still say away from it. Better to get a combo now and save up so when you're ready to by a Head/Cab rig you can get a real rig not a Backline or workingmans
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Find that stuff used and you'll be in good shape. But that would set you back like $800 or more.
  10. One of the problems with a combo is that the heavy wood box and the heavy amp transformer are all in the same unit.

Going for S/H separates gives you more versatility in what you take to each gig, makes it easier to cover for any item that goes faulty, makes it easier to upgrade, and is easier on your back when you load/unload the car.

Just a thought.
  11. BassoProfundo

Jan 24, 2005
    What about an ashdown setup? What about the MAG 410T and a MAG 300R head? Looks a bit on the cheap side, but...
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use a GK stack and am looking for a combo for smaller gigs. To answer your question, you'll eventually want both, but if you were to have one, get a stack that you can modify to the gigs needs. I take a 210, a 410, a 115 or a combination of them and my rack to gigs.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO, the WM series ain't all that great, BUT.....the WM 15 and WM 12 combos are fantastic (and i hate combos) for gigs the 15 is probably a better choice. one of my pals uses one all the time and it cuts most mid volume gigs pretty darned well. add an extension cab and it definitely handles almost any mid volume gig with ease. great combo
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out Avatar. They have cab and Ashdown deals! Really good deals.