Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 27, 2001.

1. SWR Workingman's 12

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. SWR Workingman's 15

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Nemesis 1x12

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Gallien-Krueger 700RB/112

28 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. OK, I think I have narrowed down my combo choices to 4 possibilities. Now it is time for a poll among my peers. Which of these 4 combos would you guys say would make the best stage monitor.
    Everything except the GK would be placed on an amp stand pointing up towards my head. The GK has the kickback feature.

I play an active Carvin 5 string in church. I am eventually going to get a P-bass and figure I can use a Sansamp Bass Driver with my combo if I want to get that old school sound.

Disclaimer: This is not a "Please tell me which amp to buy" post. I am very careful how I spend my money so I am trying to gather as much info as possible first.

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i reccomended the nemesis becuase i like all the edens i have played and i really like the sound of the nemesises...

i didint vote GK because i dont like their cabients (or the bottom half of their combos, for that matter)

i really like the SWR 12, but cant speak for the 15

3. I just found out that The Bass Place has Ashdown MAG 200W 2x10 combos for $699. That just slightly more than any of the other things I've listed. Sweet!!!

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Haven't tried the Ashdown combos yet, but I have tried the Nemesis 1x12 and it has incredible volume, even on the low B.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    SWR Workingman 15. Great great tone, loud as a mofo when needed, no hum or hiss, great for funk,reggae, or church as you said. All around great combo. Check it out.

6. I voted for the GK. I've got a 700RB/210 that I like a lot. I love the tilt back feature and the sound is real versatile. I've been going straight into the board lately so it sees use mostly asa practice amp, but it still sounds good.

7. i voted SWR workingman's 15. i tried it out just yesterday and it seemed to have a lot of power for a smaller amp. i also really liked what sound i could get out of it.

8. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Out of curiosity why are you looking at such expensive products for a PA if you are careful about how you spend your money? I seriously would get just like an Ibanez 65 watt amp. I mean most places you gig should have a PA for you anyway. Even my church has a PA system! Anyway I wouldn't spend so much for a PA speaker if I were you. But if I had to chose one I would get the SWR Workingman's 12. When I was in Chicago at a hotel they had a band with a drummer the bassist and a piano player. But anyway he was using an SWR and it sounded nice but I hated his bass! I've seen it before in Bass Player I think it only has a piezo pickups and it has no EQ or anything that I saw. I mean it looked blank no pickups aside from the piezo and no knobs. It was beyond me if there were any knobs or to how he controlled the volume on his bass without touching the amp. Anyway I would say SWR! Plus the SWR has a cool purple light instead of a red one!

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah, but you have a Musician's Friend. so ha?

10. I'm not going to use the combo as a PA.....

11. Another option you haven't listed is the Ashdown electric blue 130-12 or 130-15. I use a 130-12 as my stage monitor at church and it's PLENTY loud and sounds nice. I also use a sans amp DI prior to the amp and send the sans amp signal to the PA, the amp sits on an axman amp stand.

I chose the Ashdown because it sounds great at $399 and is relatively light for hauling back and forth to the church.

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i used to own one. great amp! loud, great tone, nice features. i wish i could have kept it. the 15 is great. i highly suggest trying one out.

13. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I voted for the GK combo -- I think the integrated tilt-back functionality is great, and the amp sounds good at low as well as high volume situations. It does sound like an 'expensive' solution for use solely as a personal monitor, but it can double as your audience amp if the PA system is unavailable at some future date or location.

Greg

14. SquattingDog

SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    Tennessee

I recently emailed Bass Northwest for a price qoute on the Nemesis 210 combo. I'm getting it from them for $550. $300 under the list price.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How did you manage that?

16. We don't currently make a 700RB/112. We have a 115 or a 210 with the 700RB head.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    WM-12 really kicks as long as you don't try to over-crank it. I think it would punch-through better as a stage monitor than the WM-15.

There has been some quality/reliability issues with some Nemesis amps.
    [I had an NC-210P that I liked alot when it wasn't making static-y noises.]

Never used GK, so I can't comment on them.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I recommend the Nemesis. I've been gigging with one for 4 years. No reliability issues at all. Very warm sounding amp for solid state. I have the 210 version and I'm very happy with it. Lots of tone shaping features. Light weight. The top facing panel is easy to read. Built by Eden. Priced right.

I have owned GK stuff in the past and speak very highly of it as well. Would still have it if I didn't move to a 240 volt country from 110 volt.

I suggest you try each of them out in a live situation if that's possible.
    You have listed some nice sounding stuff there that will easily meet your requirements and possibly more.

Another option worth considering if budget is a concern is the Behringer 300 watt head and a separate cab. I have been using Behringer for a while on the notion that if it dies on me, I will bin it cuz it was so cheap to buy. It hasn't quit yet.

Ashdown makes wonderful gear. Out of my budget, regrettably. I have been told by the local dealer that their Mag line is made in China. (Can anyone confirm that?)

I would recommend you try the SABDDI before you purchase it. Many people are over the moon on it. I bought a SABDDI last year after all the hype I have read. I could never get a decent sound out of it and subsequently sold it after seven months of looking for the magic. I could never make it sound like any Ampeg, Vintage Sunn, Fender tube amp I ever owned. Furthermore, I figure, if I wanted a tube amp, I would own one.

Good luck with the search. It's always fun hitting the stores in search of that great deal. Have fun.

bmc

19. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i own and love my swr 15, i am actually looking to sell it but only because i need more power and am slowly building a rack setup, but because you play a 5, the 15 might be a worthy choice instead of the 12 for teh lows, but i havent tried the 12 with a low b so its only a guess

20. Go for that...or if you're tight on your budget look for a used working man's 12...it's just as nice!