Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo pramp>poweramp> seperate cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Oct 20, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    so in my othe rthread you may have seen that i want a new pre-amp, but, being in college im thinking up some crazy stuff. I have a laney hcm 65b combo, and im getting a lanet R410 cabnet for christmass form my mum n dad, but i have to get something to power this. Im thinking about getting the behringer bx3000t head. However, ive also been looking down the line of a pre/power amp set up, .

Im looking at this http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/...dt_shop_class=&type=intro&name_search=t%2Eamp

Which seems very reasonable.
    Could i play my bass into my combo, run a line out to teh power amp, and then put teh power amp into the new R410 cabnet?

Think this would be a good idea cos if i got an extension cabnet for my combo i could use it as a monitor for my drummer and then use the R410 for my own stage volume.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Anyone?

3. I'm planning on using my Combo115's crossover out to run into a Peavey Nitrobass or like head and then into a 410 Cab.

Preamp out, DI or built-in crossovers are all fine for running a combo through another amp head or PA IME, but I'm not sure about running straight into a poweramp, should be ok, technically speaking.

Any experts wish to comment?

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    well teh way i see it, a pre-amp out is the same as a line out.... they both give out siginal, but not eoungh to power speakers.......

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That should work fine. One caveat ... if you are using a significant amount of volume from the pwr amp & 4x10, then you'll never hear the internal speaker on the Laney. So you'll never hear it when it cooks... and it will as you'll never hear it begging for mercy with the 4x10 burying it! If you have a speaker off on the Laney, use that and keep the internal speaker for use as a practice amp. You can always point the 4x10 cab toward the drums a bit ... otherwise, you need to pay attention to the internal speaker some way. You really don't want to cook the speaker on a gig as some amps won't tolerate running that way (into a blown speaker) so you'd then be without your 'Pre' ...

oh yeah - I didn't follow your link so I am making the wild assumption that dancetech is offering up a power amp of some kind. Power amps are generic in my experience. They vary in output and quality for sure. If they add anything other than gain something is probably wrong ...

Lastly - turn on the Laney, then the Power Amp to avoid that really unpeasant and potentially speaker damaging 'POP' ...

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh, i was thinking of getting an extension cab for teh laney and using it as a monitor for teh drummer, also, i would be able to turn it down to an extend where damage is less likely, and i would still have anough siginal to put into the power amp to power the 410.

Also, dancetech have a power amp rated at 600w for £129, even if it is crap, i have only spent £129 on it, and could sell it on to someone, all my bass friends want more power.

Anyway, i doubt ill get a review here, and i havnt contribuited a review yet, so i can mabye help some people who are considering the T.amps

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the line out of your combo really is a "line out" you should be fine
    and you should be able to use the combo for your drummer

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    hmm, it says line out, there is a headphone jack, as well as an extension speaker jack, they are on the back, the line out is at the front. I think im safe.