1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finalrequiem, Feb 22, 2010.

1. I'm really not sure how to even begin to use the search to answer this question because I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking lol...

I've decided to get a combo amp for now and not replace my Acoustic half stack that I sold. Here is what I am using if for and wanting/needing:

It is going to get used almost exclusively in these situations- practice, very small (mostly acoustic) venues, and in studio. do they make combos that will accommodate an extension cab, going direct out to the board, but that are relatively low power?

What I'm really wanting is to get a very high quality sound with the option to go direct out of it to the board so I can mic it and run direct for recording. I want to sacrifice power foremost and the extension cab use next.

What I was hoping for was that I could, by sacrificing power (that I really don't need), get something with very high quality sound without spending $800+. That may not be possible though. Any kind of a head/cab option is not happening right now, by the way.

TL : DR- Tell me what combo to buy. (lol i kid, i kid)

EDIT: "Going direct" might be the wrong choice of words. Forgive me, I'm not much of a gear head. What I mean is to be able to go out of the amp into the board to record (I want to be able to record the 'sound' of my amp direct as well as mic'd

2. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The extension cab part might limit your choices. Why do you require that for low power application?

3. It really isn't a requirement as much as if I can get it great if not, it's not a deal breaker at all. Just one of those "all things being equal, it'd be nice to have" deals... That is the least important thing though. If the combo sounds GREAT I would live without it in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm making this too hard? Should I have just said "What's the highest quality sound vs. low power vs. money combo amp out there?"

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

whatever you get .. get it lightweight (under 60) and make it kickback with a useable DI out.

5. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You just missed a Phil Jones Briefcase on the For Sale Forum. Bummer. Are you looking for something like that?

6. I don't know lol... I've never even really thought about combos before, to be honest lol. I'm really hoping for a range of suggestions and then I can go from there and hopefully listen to them or play through them. Anything in particular on your mind, MNAirHead? What about the Ampeg BA300/210? Is that anything like what I'm asking about?

Sorry for the noobish take on this but when it comes to amps and especially combos I kind of am one...

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good tone is very subjective. You wouldn't know what it is you want until you hear it. Hence, you must go forth and play every amp you can find. Plenty of stuff within your budget, but not that *I'd* be happy with. A Mesa Walkabout 12 has everything you want, but not for that price.

8. I understand and agree with the idea that "good tone" is subjective but I would say that quality may be easier to quantify, as in "it does what it does extremely well". Like say, whether a particular ampeg combo is better than another at doing the "ampeg" thing. Does that make any sense?

And yeah, the walkabout has been discussed with my guitar player but it's just too much. If I spent that I would probably go with the Terror Bass 500 and a cab of some sort... Not happnin'.

"Plenty of stuff within your budget, but not that *I'd* be happy with." This is the heart of the question for me, I guess. Does power cost more, or- can I get a higher quality amp by looking in the lower power ranges since I don't need much power at all anyway? Or is that even a factor in price. I guess I am hoping that my $ will go toward the things I want/need in a combo and not extraneous things that I won't use... That may be a pipe dream...

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It *might be*. Hard to answer definitively. I can say, as far as Ampeg combo's go, the Rocket bass series, (B50R, B100R, and B200R) are the best sounding to my ears, and many agree. They're solid state, but have a real warm vintage vibe. Problem with them, no ext spkr jack, but they're well within your budget. The "B-series", such as the BA115, BA210sp, BA500, BA600, well, to my ears, not so great. Plenty others use them, but I think they sound lifeless and cold. You really do need to go out and play a few.

10. No doubt... And I plan on it, for sure. Maybe there just isn't an answer to my question. I was hoping someone would say "X amp was INCREDIBLE except for the whimpy power" about a few because, since I don't need the power, then I'd have some direction. I dunno... I got a pm about the walkabout- I may be posting a near-mint, '83, soon-to-be-vintage kidney in the classifieds soon. :ninja:

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've got a GK MB 150S that is about 26 lbs. The matching extension cabinet is 16 lbs. Lightweight, high quality sound. Not extremely loud but it sure sounds good and will do exactly what you say you want it for.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I would look at a used Walkabout myself. But Genz makes combos (3.0 10T and 3.0 8T) with the Shuttle 3.0 head in it. Modest power (but plenty) and a very nice DI. Markbass also makes a similar set of combos.

I will also second Rickenboogie's point of buying used. There is no reason to buy new unless you just have to have that "new gear smell" :cool:

good luck

13. I'm definitely going used. I'm a huge believer in used...