Combo recommendations for 80s Hard Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flavio Echart, May 24, 2017.

1. Flavio Echart

Flavio Echart

May 22, 2017
    Hey, new to the forum, and new to bass world! I'm a long term guitar player that recently started playing bass and taking lessons.

I record my own songs, which are 80s Hard Rock Style. So... I bought an Epi Thunderbird Classic IV Pro (the one with Gibson TB plus pups) and a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

Now I want to buy an amp. For recording mainly, so I would like a decent amp under 800 bucks or so... I thought of a good 2x10 combo... here in my country the brands I can find are Ampeg, Hartke, Ashdown, Aguilar and Gallien Krueger.

The Ashdown AAA 300 210t seems a good choice for my style, but I'd really like your opinion as I'm new to the bass gear world!

Thanks in advance!

2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    Can't go wrong with Ampeg for rock. Love mine.

Flavio Echart likes this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    All those brands listed produce some fine equipment. Get out and play some of it.

What sort of tones do you like?

kap'n kro likes this.
  4. Flavio Echart

Flavio Echart

May 22, 2017
    Hey! I'm a huge Van Halen fan, but I don't dig Mike's tone so much. And I definetly don't dig Wolfgang's tone.

My thing would be something more Nikki Sixx. I mean, Mötley era...

5. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    You should be able to dial in a tone you like with any of those amps. My preference would lean more to the Ashdown and GK with the GK being the brightest of the bunch, but really any of those amps will work. Happy hunting.

6. Flavio Echart

Flavio Echart

May 22, 2017
    I ended up ordering a head + cab... Ashdown RM 500 EVO + 410t!

Tomorrow both arrive, can't wait!

Wicked G likes this.
  7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Nice!!! I think you're going to like it. Don't be afraid to crank the gain on that amp as it really brings it to life. And let us know what you think about it after you've played with it for awhile.

8. Because you have a VT pedal, I'd say get a GK. You can get nice, clean, LOUD GK tone and use the pedal to Ampeg it up.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Although Fender isn't in your list, you should at least check out and consider the Fender Rumble 500. It is a 2x10 configuration and well within your budget. The Rumble series is the best selling line of bass amps in the world. I gig with one. For tons of information and opinions, check out the Fender Rumble Club in the Amps & Cabs forum.
    Good luck with your search.

10. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    You want 80's, don't like tube tone, get a 400rb/800rb + Hartke cabs

11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Does anyone read. He posted that he ordered an Ashdown amp and cab.

12. Flavio Echart

Flavio Echart

May 22, 2017
    In da house! ASHDOWN RM 500 EVO head + 410t cab!

20170602_121937_zpsqgfltiyg.jpg

20170602_121511_zpsb4ehee8e.jpg

Al Kraft and FingerDub like this.
  13. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That rig even has a 70's/80's rock look to it...very nice!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022