1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo similar to the Boogie Buster 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    Hi all,

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be similar in sound, but rather a similar set-up. I'm looking for an all tube head/cab combo that is easy to carry around, and has a versatile tube-y sound to it, while still maintaining power. I know ampeg has (had?) one, and that all tube combos are generally hard to come by, but all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The Mesa Walkabout has to be hiding about 6 tubes somewhere in it, even though it is only a tube pre, it's sounds like a all tube amp more than most of the newer Ampeg stuff.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree about the Walkabout Scout combo. While the power amp is solid state, the preamp is all tube. The result is a very tubey sound with plenty of power in a fairly light (50 lb) package. It's the closest to an all tube amp I've used from any hybrid amp. There are others out there with tubes in their preamps but none come close to the Mesa. They really know how to do it right. The enclosure also gets the most useable bass from such a small and light enclosure.

I've played the Buster combo. It sounds great but it's way too heavy to consider shlepping around by yourself. The Scout combo sounds almost like an all tube amp and will exceed the volume of the Buster.