Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

combo/stack question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MajesticFrog, Mar 3, 2006.

1. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    Ok, I want to upgrade my current peavey minx 110 combo to something that I can use to both practice in my apartment room as well as use to play small venue gigs. I only have a couple hundred dollars. Any suggestions for a good combo or head/cabinet combo that would fit the bill. I haven't had enough experience with different brands to have much of a preference, though I have liked Ampeg in the past. Then again, I have liked lots of amps.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How much is a "couple" hundred?

Used GK 400RB $2-300 or new Behringer BX4500 $250

Used 1-15" or 2-10" speaker cab $1-200 or a new Avatar starting at about $250

Total about $500

3. Don't sell the Minx after you get a new rig. I use mine constantly, and won't part with it.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you buy new for sure try the Yorkville Sound XM200C. By itself it's pretty capable and with an extension cabinet will handle a lot of gigs.

And yes, keep the Minx. I have one that's 20 years old and except for a faulty input jack connection still works. It doesn't sound too bad for what it is either. I replaced it with a new Yorkville XM50C which is even better but I'll try to fix the Minx myself. The input jack is connected directly to the circuit board. Bad idea.