1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo+Sub, My experiment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oleg, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oleg

Oleg

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm using Warwick CCL 300W 4Ohm.
    Sometime switch Celestion 15" speaker, 4Ohm 250W.
    With a 5 string active Warwick bass

The main issue is that it can't handle well high speed lows and playing something like Mudwayne Dig styles, where you play and switch quick between lows and high etc.

as an experiment I tried to separate in some way lows, from low mids, highs to different speakers:

1. Connected a sub-woofer (Frequency Response: 35~400Hz) 8" speaker, 4Ohm 80W with the main speaker. Anyway I'm not playing more than half of the volume.

2. From DI Out went into another combo (Dimavery 15W, 8Ohm 6")
    This amp is feeding the main speaker 6" and the tweeter 4"

What I've got

more clear sound :)
    low end is stronger and more clear ( I wish I'd have a more powerful sub), and highs are also nice.

When I play B and E same time now, I can hear them both, but not as a single muddy sound.

So this is my experiment :)

Of cause latter will buy an 4x10 etc ...

It's not ideal but an improvement, if somebody has any idea or understand better such connections welcome to comment, as I did this experiment in a more intuitive way, my knowledge is limited to amp and speaker Ohm and how not to connect them to avoid blowing the amp.

2016-02-24_0018 - REVIOutsourcing's library

2. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    You separated the frequencies to speakers that are optimized for those frequencies. It's a common PA technique. I play through a preamp into a powered 3 way cab, the Carvin LS1503A. Carvin and Avatar both make 3 way cabs. Something you should consider.

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh no! You mixed drivers without crossing them over first! You really shouldn't have done that.

Sadly you have brought an apocalyptic curse upon yourself and your family... maybe your whole town!

First, your bass neck will develop a ski ramp and become unplayable without high action.
    Second, all the first born children will catch a pox.
    Third, Your amp will start blowing fuses repeatedly and may catch fire.
    Fourth, There will be hordes of locusts and all of the crops around will die.
    Fifth, Mimes will start speaking in tongues and lurking outside your windows.
    Sixth, A black cat who answers to the name of "nobody" will come and shred the covering of your speakers.
    and the dreaded Seventh sign of doom....
    is when a virgin child will approach you and refuse to leave until you play a Justin Bieber song.

redshot and btmpancake like this.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Haha...;) Oh wait, guess what? The OP did use a cross-over and a sub. Perhaps you should reread his post? :rolleyes:

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I re-read it. I even looked up the owners manual to the amp. I don't see the crossover.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Tiny powered subs like that usually have a built in crossover. Low side feeds the internal amp, high side lines out to another amp.

Nev375 likes this.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Phew! Well that's a relief. Guess the OP dodged a bullet there and is safe from the curse.

...or... IS he?

Jim Carr likes this.
  8. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    WOW! I better not make the bass gods angry;I may need to recheck all my technical support.

Nev375 likes this.
  9. Welcome to biamp land.

Your piddly home subwoofer has shone some light in your living room but it is way too feeble to take on a gig.

10. I'm two months late in responding to this, but a recent thread by you made me curious about you. You're just learning, and I admire you for it. I wonder where you are located?

But the other responders here are correct -- you accidentally ventured into the wonderous land of "Bi-amping", and there may be no stopping you now!

If you happened to have a load of money, you could buy yourself a few things: a 2-channel amp (like this BX1500 Lightweight 1500W Bass Amp Head) then a pair of stacked 2x10s like these 210MBE Micro Bass 2 X 10 Extension Cabinet

Then you'd use 1/2 of your amp to amplify the upper frequencies into one cabinet... and the other 1/2 of your amp to punch the low-lows out of your bottom cab (basically, separate amps for the separate speakers.) The amp's crossover would separate the highs from the lows. Then you'd have control over Volume and tone of both.

Good luck Oleg! We expect to hear more from you when you make it to the top!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Matching cabs make sense when all are being driven from one amp/channel.

When bi-amping, it makes little sense to use matching cabs; Sub frequencies should go to a subwoofer that is optimized to reproduce them (not the home stereo unit used for the test, but there's a Peavey 18" sub going for $60 on my local CL, or you can build or have built a BFM Titan or Tuba for performance-level subs.)

12. I would agree, and stand corrected.