Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Suggestions for X-Mas Present

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Dec 5, 2004.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm buying a bass and possibly an amp, in conjunction with some of my other friends for costs, for my friend. We're probably gonna get her an SX Jazz Bass and I'm wondering what's the cheapest bass combo that has some semblance of quality.

Price range for the combo is 0 to about $150 at the very most. She's just starting out and it only has to be for practicing. Something small and cheap.

Any help is appreciated.
    -Eric.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Peavy Microbass. - Its the only sensible choice,

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    +1

4. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I have a Fender Rumble 25 and am very happy with it for practicing. Its actually fairly loud: not quite loud enough for a band with drums, but certainly loud enough to play with the stereo turned up. It has a nice deep sound, looks cool, and heck..its Fender. $180 price a little over that $150 though...they have a Rumble 15 which is $120.

5. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    the Ibanez SW20 Soundwave Bass Amp is pretty cool, 20watts for less than $100, can't go wrong, and they sound pretty sweet.