1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo to add a little "something" to MB112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JACink, Mar 7, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Hi Guys (and gals),

I spend most of my time in hotels, but the current project I am working on looks like it will last for a while, so I am going to get myself an apartment for the next year or so.

This, and the fact that I am fed up of practicing thru headphones, is a good excuse to get myself a practice amp.

At home, I have a GK MB112, that I am more than happy with, but I am wondering if there is anything that I could use together with the MB112 at a later date to add a little something (when I ship everything home in a year)??

It needs to be sufficient for me to practice, but I am not too concerned about the tone of it on its own, as it is only for practice. Also if it is below 300€ it would make me happy!

I thought maybe something like a HArtke 210 TP and a small head, which would add a little brightness (when wanted) to the GK.

I am open to all ideas!!

:bassist:

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'm guessing this is a combo amp and it doesn't have connections for a second cab, so based on that assumption, why not another of the same (just like recommended with speaker cabs)? it's bound to cost less than a totally seperate head and cab.

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    No, the GK MB112 doesn't have the option for another cab.

Also, the combo I have is at home (in Spain) and I would like something that I can use for practice here (in Germany) until such time as I finish this project and take it home.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    sorry, the post didn't clarify that part about not having it with you.

will shipping be paid for by your job or you? if it's you, why not get something super-cheap (like a 15 watter) and a GOOD pedal? that way, you only REALLY need to get the pedal home, and the amp; meh, whatever, donate it to a school.

unless you spend time with other musicians... in that case, i still stick with my initial suggestion. adding a combo to a combo isn't IMO ever really ideal (unless you're "blending tones, dude"). shipping, in general, sucks with music gear. i'd do whatever i could to avoid that potential headache.

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry I wasn't clear about that in my OP!

I will probably just load everything in a car and take it home at the end of the job (I also have computers, bass, and lot's of other junk with me!) maybe make it a short holiday with the family.

I have actually been looking at a few combos, and the Marshall MB30 has suprised me (at least from what I have heard/seen).

(BTW I also have a Zoom B2 with me, and a USB interface, but I am bored of headphones)

Thanks for your input so far!!

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Any opinions on the Marshall mb30?

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO, get a cheap headphone amp for your current situation (one of those Pandora's or something... works fine with cheap phones or decent earbuds which I assume you have).

GK makes powered cabs for combo expansion. You can get an identical powered 112 to stack with your current combo. Perfect (assuming you dig the tone of your MB112)

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the input KJung, but I am guessing that you skipped the other messages in the thread!

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

No, the other messages in the thread are wrong I believe. The GK combo's will not driver another extension cab (correct), but are designed to be chained/slaved to their powered extension cabs.

That being said, if you have a very early model, you might not have that 'chaining' capability, since that was added a bit after these combo's were introduced.

So, do you know if you have that 'chained output' on your combo? If so, my suggestion is IMO a good one. If not, then a headphone amp makes the most sense to me. If you need more ooomph than the combo, and if you can't chain it to one of their powered extensions, then I would just sell it and get something that would work for the volume you need, versus trying to rig up some sort of 'double amp' deal with a different brand.

IMO:)

10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    :D:D:D

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to try and help me out!!