Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo to compliment Warwick Thumb 4-String

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bezo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Pardon the 1,000th post asking the same question, but I've heard Warwicks need amps without a lot of color, so the "Warwick sound" comes through. I wasn't sure if the suggestions I found through my search were useful.

I'm looking for 2 things:

200(maybe more) watt combo for practice and rehearsals... jazz, r&b, funk, reggae, and hip-hop. Band has a drummer, gutarist, and keyboard player. If it's enough power, I'll use it to record in the home studio, either direct(preferably) or with a mic (Sure 57).

Secondly, I need an amp modulator for recording purposes. I've hear good and bad things about the PodXT, but nothing about the competition. I'd prefer to meet this need with an amp, but I'm discouraged by my guitar experiences. My guitar amp has a direct out for recording purposes, but the tone is nothing like what I hear through the speakers. Not bad, just different. Is this likely the case with bass amps/combos? Anyone have any good experiences going direct to the mixer from an amp line out?

If anyone is wondering, my home recording environment is not conducive to recording amps via microphone.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Genz Benz ML-200

I haven't tried any amp that sounds better with Warwicks but Genz. Maybe a GK 400RB-210 if thats not up your alley.

3. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Thanks. I've looked at some reviews for the ML200 112 and 115. They seem to all be favorable. I'll take a listen to them and the 210 as well.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My bubinga Corvette 6 sounds good through GK and Ampeg, too

5. I own a GK-400-210 combo.

And ive run a few warwick's through it to find which warwick is for me..
    each of them sound excellent, IMO the GK's barely colour the bass thats running through them so you really hear whats coming through..

I've also heard good things about pairing up Warwick's with Eden.

6. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I tested a few combos including the GB ML200 112 and 115(couldn't find the 2x10). The Benz sounded great... better than the others I tested.

I didn't find a GK-400-210 combo to test, but the online reviews look bad. Most love the sound but question the reliability. Have either of you had problems with it?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You sir need to buy the BAM from Peavey.

-Mike

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    it's emeril's favorite amp ;)

9. My Corvette 6 sounds wonderful through an SWR Super Redhead - clear, open and incredibly detailed for such a small package. Incredibly loud, too...add a Goliath Jr for stage (mine is 8 Ohm)

Only downside these days is having to deal with Fender for service - SWR used to be wondeful, Fender don't seem to give a monkeys. :eyebrow:

10. I've had mine for almost two years now.

I am the original owner, bought new, wasnt in a store demo or anything like that. Came straight to my door as soon as it hit our shores.

I havent had a single problem, not one. If this continues i'll be moving into the 1001 series, despite the bad reviews.

Mine is the Mark 3 series btw, not the new mark 4.

11. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    That's probably too many watts.

12. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Probably too many watts.

I'll take a listen to this and the Peavey, but I'm sure I'd be wasting a lot of the power. Both the guitarist and keyboardist are amplified at around 200 watts.

13. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I wonder if I could still get my hands on a new mark 3.

14. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I ended up with the Ampeg BA 210SP Combo. After testing it, the GB, and the GK, the Ampeg was a bit more versitle with slightly sweeter tones.

Myself and another shopper were persuaded by the sales rep to try the Ampeg(we were both tesing the GK). The other guy bought in on the spot. I was lucky enough to find a used one later that day, saving $200.

Thanks for the recommendations!

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Where did you shop at? If its a major chain store, it really is no surprise they would sway you towards Ampeg. Never have I been to a store, and a clerk reccomend anything but Ampeg.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the BAM, but IMHO it has too little power for your needs.

As far as having the same amount of wattage as the guitar and keyboard, that is a great way to get buried in the mix. Due to the nature of bass frequencies, you need at least 3 times what the guitarist has, particularly if he is using distortion.

Realistically, there is no combo made that will have enough volume, if your guitarist really has 200 watts.

You need a head an cabinet, and at least 600 watts.

My guitarist was using a 45 watt combo, and my 350 watt BAM was more than enough. He bought a 150 watt Line 6 combo, and I was no longer loud enough.

So I am getting a 12+10 cabinet and an 800 watt head.

17. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    xcental34x,

Guitar Center. Why do you think the chains back Ampeg?

I'm glad he recommended it. I wasn't considering it at all. I liked it's tones more than the GK and GB, and I got it used for $250 less than Guitar Center's asking price, and it's in near mint condition. This has to be the first time I'm happy that a Guitar Center rep bothered me while I was shopping.

embellisher,

I've been using a borrowed 200 watt Behringer and everything has been OK. The behringer cut through with no problem, and I hate that amp. Our guitarist uses very little distortion. He has some sweet sounding effect he throws on during some of his fills, but it doesn't get in my way.

And we're only practicing and recording now. The only gig that MAY be coming up is backing up spoken word artist at a VERY small club. I'm sure I'll need less power for that than I do when we're practicing, and that will only be me and a drummer.

18. Watts don't have to equal loud. More power allows the amp to reproduce your dynamics accurately, especially the lower notes. The "authority" of a higher-powered amp, even at low volumes, is addictive. And you'll save money on the upgrade cycle too...

The Super Redhead will outperform the Peavey on every level IMHO. I used to have a Peavey - it was a total albatross, never quite bad enough to toss, never good enough to make me happy. I had to move countries to get rid of it! (grinning, ducking & running)

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Congrats on the new rig dude! Nice choice.

I hope to have one soon as well. Just realize you can't add any extension cabs to it, and you'll get drowned out pretty quick if you hook up with a "loud" band. Other than that, the BA-210SP is a great combo.

-Mike

20. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I have played through a few stacks at the local shop, so I know what you mean. That power can be addictive. I'm trying to stay away from that. Between the cost and lack of need, I've been able to do so.

The 225 watts from the Ampeg seemed waaaaay more powerful than what I've been using(Behringer), and the Behringer was enough. While testing the Ampeg, I only cranked it up to hear how it did at higher volumes, but I could tell that I wouldn't need that much volume for my purposes.

Lastly, I play the bass mainly for production and recording purposes. My band is more so my friends acting as session players. I write the music, program drums, and record with the help of a synthesizer and drum machine. Then the guys learn the tunes so we can re-record them. These tracks are mostly for local singers and rappers. Now if one of these artist wanted us to play for them live, I may have a problem.

My number one instrument is the guitar. I'm looking to join a band and play live wearing the 6-stringer.