1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo Votage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexit, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ampeg BA115 - 100w

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Ashdown Electric Blue 15 - 180w

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Ashdown Mag 115 - 307w

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. Nemesis N12S - 120w

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    So its combo tiiimeee...here's options, all are 300-400. Looking for a do-it-all, I like tone of the ampeg for its clarity and ability to go deep. Ashdown stuff sounds really smooth, played the mag but not the electric blue. The other two I haven't played, but both look good. I realize the mag combo is ~=180w with an extension. But the ampeg could be the extension to a later 4x10 setup.

I'd go for the ampeg right away for the tone - it can get huge bottom while staying punchy and clean, not bad for a 15 powered by only 100 watts - but not sure if its loud enough to keep up with a rock drummer. So hard to compare volumes if they're not all side by side.

I was offered $450 for a used SVT-3pro, but don't have the cash to buy a 410e or avatar cab to run it through.

2. Aren't those combos too "small" for a do-it-all? If you need cheap I would suggest the MAG 2x10, Kustom or Nemesis. Use 2 speakers than just one, and later on you can always add a 15" or 12" for more bottom end.

3. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    By do it all, I meant do the most for my dollar ;) :crying:

MAG 210 is a little past my pricepoint, and I don't have an opportunity to try one, can't find it -anywhere- around here. I've been really disappointed by 210s in general for lack of low-end punch, and tons of annoying ring in the upper mids, noticed this with the ampeg, fender, gk, and even trace elliot combos.

Both ampeg and ashdown mag 115's have great (albeit different) tone, but volume is hella hard to figure out when you can't a/b. Next time I test in guitar stores, I should just pick it up and bring it over to the drum section and tell some random shopper 'here hit these f*&$ers as hard as you can'.

Ultimately, I'd like to get a 410 setup, agree that 10's are optimal for punch, just don't sound right to my ears in those tiny 210 cabs.

4. Try Acme with a cheap head. www.acmebass.com It sounds huge and you ll never need more low end. ITs quite cheap too. Only, in near future you will need to buy a good powerful quality head.

Anw, on the poll, i personally find the Ashdown 1x15 better than the others.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've owned the Electric Blue. It's ok for low volume gigs without a drummer, but not much else. It has a nice, smooth tone, no matter how you twiddle the knobs. Why not look for something used with more power? My favorite combo is a Roland db700. A 15 with tweeter, compression and some amp modeling, plus the ability to store favorite settings. I had it benched recently and although it is rated at 270 watts, it was closer to 300. You can sometimes find them on Ebay for around $400.

6. The Electric Blue combo is nice. I had two of the 12" 180 EB combos.

I loved them ;)

Very versatile, and great value.

Plug into an extension cab, and they get pretty damn loud too.

I played my EB 12 - 180 combo plugged into a 410 cab a few times at gigs, and it rocked.

Electric Blue is my pic for a Versatile combo on a budget.

If you have more money, I like my Eden Nemesis NC210 even more!

:)

7. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Lots of voting for ashdown, I could get the MAG115 "b-stock" from zzounds for 319, or the MAG410 for 429. MAG is supposed to be "better" than electric blue, right? Cause it goes for about $399.

8. Mag is no "Better" than Electric blue.

I've owned both, and can tell you that first-hand ;) They're both "same same" when it comes to being "as good" as each other.

Mag has a larger power section (300W vs 180W).The Mag combos are physically larger than Electric Blue also. They get a bit louder, but are tougher to lug around.

9. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    OK, so I've narrowed it down to a MAG combo, now the question is, which? 1x15: lack of highs with no tweeter? 2x10 lack of lows? (not sure). 4x10 - does only having 180w make this underpowered? also heaviest and most expensive.

Best of all possible worlds seems to be to get the 2x10 combo with a 15" extension. Should I pull the trigger?

10. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    OK, so the 115 is out, tried it today and the lack of a tweeter meant no highs and far too many mids. 210 vs 410 - is either one going to be better with size and weight aside. Not so sure about 180 watts into a 410, isnt that a little light on power? Same wattage into a 210 would result in a tighter sound?

11. Go and play both and decide......

12. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    I played basically every one in the state, but they dont have either. Just had the 115 and an ABM head through the separate mag 210 and 115 cabinets

13. I voted 4 the Nemesis-just coz of bang 4 $$!!!!!
    But in yr situ. I'd go 2nd hand. head & 2x12 cab???????

14. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    How bout a used nemesis 410 combo for $400?

15. That'd be a GREAT option IMHO!! have heard GOOD things re the NEMESIS 410 combo!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021