Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

combo's- ampeg vs ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Jan 22, 2002.

1. I'm also open to other companies. I want something forr smaller/lower volume jams. I like my sound to be very present and lotsa bass, I slap sometimes- but moe of a gentle funk slap, not a hardcore slap. I have played through the ampeg ba115 combo many a time and I really like it's tone and volume but I want to see how it compares to others. There are no ashdown dealers in CO so I can't compare directly.

2. Me personally i'd take an Ashdown combo over an Ampeg combo anyday...although i've only had experience with the ABM series, not the MAG or Electric Blue.

3. I have owned an Ampeg B-100R for over 3 years. It is the closest thing that you can buy to a B-15 and not spend the money. In my book, that's a good thing. The tone is real deep and thumpy. Of course, you can also get the modern trebly sounds out of it if you want to. It is my favorite amp for small gigs. I also use it for band practice and usually just leave it at the house where we practice since most of our gigs are not small ones.

Just a few days ago I bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 12. I bought this amp because I wanted a practice amp with some reasonable power that didn't weigh a lot. The B-100R is advertised at 65#s but mine right at 72 with the cover in place. The Ashdown weighs under 40. I have to haul it up and down stairs to get to practices, narrow basement stairs.

The sound of the Ashdown is very nice. More modern than the B-100R. In other words, I can't get it to get quite as deep and thumpy as the B-100R. It may be a function of it's circuitry or the 12" speaker (vs the 15 in the B-100R), or both. Not bad, just different. It is still a nice solid bass sound, clear, not boxey. Power is about equal: 100W vs 120W. You'll never notice the 20W difference.

It doesn't produce that traditional MoTown sound as well as the B-100R. However, it doesn't matter to me. As I said, I bought the amp for practice and it will do the job beautifully.