Combos: best bang for your buck, under $350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkcicle, Jan 15, 2004.

1. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    so here's the deal-

I plan on spending 1 to 4 months in California this summer, and I plan on doing a lot of playing. I won't be able to take my entire rig out there with me, so I'm soliciting your advice for a do-all combo amp. I'm not a gearhead and never have been (I guess I just spend too much time practising! :p ), so I'm really ignorant when it comes to equipment. I'll be playing very frequently with a drummer, a keyboardist, a guitar/mandolin/banjo guy, and sometimes as many as six horns(but usually not more than 1 or 2). I'll also be playing on at least 1 unrelated big band gig, but that'll likely be engineered.

Performance venue will be mid-size bars and small auditoriums.. community-centre type places.. the largest venue possibly being a middle school or high school auditorium. With the exception of the academic venues, we won't be using a P.A. The majority of our gigs will be in small/medium sized bars with fewer than 100 people.

so bearing all that in mind, can anybody give me suggestions of combo amps that might serve my purposes? I basically know what's available in the mainstream (Behringer BX1200, Fender Rumble, etc), but I'm not really "in" with the used trends nowadays, especially in combo amps, which I've never considered in the past. So basically I just need some direction as to what combos to start looking at. Is it concievable to get by with something at less than 100w?

Also, being that this will probably just sit in my studio after this summer, I'd rather not break the bank.. so I've set a pretty firm price limit for myself at $350. thanks!

2. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I would look for a used or discounted Ampeg or Ashdown combo. The Ashdown electric blues and Ampeg B100r are both really nice if you like a warm and/or old school tone. I own the Ashdown 15". It's about 42 lbs., has an xlr and speaker out, and just sounds fantastic for high-end budget amp. Good luck.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You can get an Ampeg BA115, for that kinda scratch,,, on Ebay...