Combos that recuire active cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Btone, May 31, 2001.

1. Btone

May 5, 2001
    Hi guys..
    I've just bought a EBS Taurus, it's a 240w 2X10 combo. I'm not familiar with it yet - but it's nice so far! But why can't I plug in a 15" cab without spending a lot of money on an "active" cab (with a built-in power amp?)? What happens if I plug in a "passive" 15" cab?
    Just wondering....
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't understand the problem.

Either the amp has an external speaker jack or it doesn't. If it does, you can use any speaker you like as long as the load impedance is OK.

If it has no external speaker output, then to drive more speakers you need a second power amp hooked up to the combo's line out.
  3. Btone

May 5, 2001
    No wonder you don't understand, brianrost...I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Anyway - the combo has a "line out", but no output for external speakers. Ok, so I need another amp if I wanna expand. What I'm trying to figure out is this: Why make a combo with no external speaker output? What is the gain? Or - what is the disadvantage of having (using) one...?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The gain? I don't know, I think it's plain stupid.

The "disadvantage" with having one would be that you will not get the full power out of the amp unless you connect the extra cabinet.

One major flaw with EBS combos, IMO. But they rock anyway! :)
  5. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Not familiar with the actual product in question, but it sounds like the combo's power amp is max rated at the resistance of the speaker in the combo. In other words, if you were to plug another cabinet into it, thereby dividing the resistance in half, the power amp would blow.

It's not really that unusual if you think about it in the context that some amps require a minimum load. This amp looks to have the same thing, but it's already at its minimum load. Another cabinet would reduce the load.

Like I said, it's just a guess.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some combos have speaker outs, some don't. I personally don't see anything wrong with that...the trick is to buy what "you" need. If a combo won't cut it alone for you, maybe you don't need that combo.

Having enough power to push an extra cab is great...if you need it. If you don't, it's not free, so in essence it's money spent on something you don't need.