combos - what causes the boxy and honky sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneDrop, Jun 21, 2003.

1. OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i am currently ampless but looking for a small combo. in the past i've had had 3-4 combos and then stepped up to a head and an acme b2 which was box and honk free. did i just get spoiled by the acme and now most combos to me sound really boxy/honky? what causes that - the design of the cab part, the speaker size, the mid freq.? i think my nemesis 2x10 combo sounded less boxy than all y other 1x15 combos. right now i just need something that has the least boxy honk as possible and is under $200 used. most likely a 1x10,12, or 15 i guess. i've seen trace boxer 65 1x15, any info on those being honky?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hard to say in general, but I guess box size, speaker size and power are factors, you don't get much bottom end from most smaller combos, they can't reproduce much bass (at least at volume) given the factors above so what's left is mostly midrange. A tube/speaker emulator like the SansAmp Bass Drive DI can help to take out some of the honk and add a bit of warmth, but that's not within the budget you mention. I'd say look for something with a 15" speaker in that price range, like a Peavey.
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes. A lot of full-sized seperate component units sound that way as well.

Look for a ported combo (not sealed) with a relatively small speaker in a relatively big box. It's no guarantee of better sound (at the expense of volume) but at least it's physically possible.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know that buying a Crate will cause a boxy and honky sound.

brad cook

ps - Who are you calling a honky, bub?
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IME, a small or sealed enclosure is the chief cause of honk.
  6. honkiness and boxiness have their charm, IMO.
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I suggest you try an Ampeg B50R. It is a sealed enclosure but sounds great and is very loud for a 50 watt amp. The larger B100R has a 15 in a ported cabinet. It sounds very good and has more bottom, just as you'd expect.

The Ampeg combos work very well for 4 string bass but don't do too well with a B string.

8. An Aphex aural exciter with big bottom (used on Ebay- $150) will add inches to your drivers helping to balance those honky mids!!

Great for dub players!:D :D
  9. OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i guess i did get spoiled with the acme. my last combo before the acme rig was a b100r and i did like it alot until i heard the acme. so i've decided not too expect much in my price point and since i've been out of playing for a while, i may not be as picky as before. a/b comparisons bring out the differences/negatives but since there is no gear(acme) to a/b then hopefully it won't be as bad. i'll just be patient w/ whatever used deals come my way. since the 100w b100r barely cut it for me w/ my drummer then i might just go for a practice amp w/ rca inputs for cd(ala bassman 25) since i live in an apartment anyway. i guess jamming wont be happening anytime soon, except for at a studio :meh:
  10. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I can relate; I used to think my B-100R was pretty solid until I started using subs (same frequency response as ACME).