Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Rimas, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Has any one tried an Ampeg B-100r with an upright?
    Also, Bassnw has a polytone minbrute II 1x15, 100watts, is this the older, sought after model?
  2. I am currently looking for a smaller rig. I have played the B100. No tweeter. Right? It sounded too boxy for DB IMOB. Looks great though. I prefer the sound of the BA115 but it doesn't get very loud. I demand maybe too much from a combo. I play a range from jazz to high volume rockabilly plus I need 3 channels. You can get a pretty good sound from most combos at a low volume however at high volume it’s a different story. Lesee...others I tried out last week..
    Ampeg BA115
    plus-most natural tone of the combos I played,tilt back design
    minus-breaks up at medium volume, single channel

SWR Working Man's 12
    plus-not much tweaking needed to get a working tone-good for low volume
    minus-the 12 broke up at medium volume,single channel

Ampeg 2-8" combo (name?)
    plus- there is probably a good tone in there
    minus- I couldn't find it, requires too much tweaking, not for high volumes,single channel

Roland KC500
    plus- had pleasant tone, 4 channels
    minus-not enough power for high volume, too big for small volume gigs

EV powered 15" pa speaker
    plus-workable tone at high volume,300 watt, pretty small,tilt back design
    minus-single channel, needs a pre-amp,

I haven’t tried the Contra. With only 1-10", I can't see it working for high volume.

The winner: Since I really like the tone of my SWR 410 but don't like to carry it around, I tried the 210 version. A 10" speaker seems to respond much faster than a 12 or 15. A 10" feels more part of the bass as to a separate unit. The 210 handles everything I give it. Low volume jazz to loud thumpy rockabilly. I think it weighs 35 lbs + whatever amp you use. I am looking into a powered mixing board such as the EMX 3000 to give me the channels and EQ I need plus it would double as a PA with built in effects. Along with the 210 this rig is at about the same price as some of those high end combos.

That’s where I'm at today, tomorrow may be different.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I play an Eminence upright through an Ampeg B50R. Sounds great to me. But I don't use the passive preamp on the Ampeg for tone shaping; that's all done using a Tech 21 Acoustic DI.
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello Rimas....
    I just bought an Ampeg B 100 R a month ago .
    It all depends on the sound you're looking for......
    With my Kay filled with all-gut strings i get a very fat , thumpy old sound....thats the sound i'm looking for, so sounds good to me.
    However dont expect a lot of with almost all the combos with DB, after 12 o'clock with the nobs, the sound will change.
    I would give it a try....
    And its a cheap one.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think the B100R has a great sound. It does not have a lot of definition, but it is very warm and full sounding. You would be better off buying a Contra though. The single 10" will hold it together in almost any setting. It does not function the way a standard speaker cab would. The cab is designed to use the floor as a key part in the amplification. That is partially why the frequency response is so great. You would be surprised! I am buying a Clarus to use with an Epifani 1x10", and it can easily cut it.
  6. I need peoples opinions on the best way to spend 5-600 bucks on an amp that will be doubled on quite frequently. I cant make up my mind.
  7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm quite satisfied with my Workingman's 12.
    I also bought the 1X10T extension cab.

8. Has anyone had a chance to try the new baby baby blue 110/tweeter from swr? would this amp be better for doubling than the contra?
  9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am doubling using the Carvin RC210, and I am quite pleased with it. I may replace the speakers (Carvin speakers tend to blow up after 1.5 years of steady gigging) with something a little meatier, but overall it sounds great, and has both a knob based EQ with sweepable mids and a graphic equalizer - so you can use different combinations of EQ on one bass and not on the other by disengaging the graphic EQ when you use one of the basses - I don't though, as I think I have found a decent compromise sound and can pre-eq the DB with my handy K&K preamp anyway. Also, it has both a passive and an active input, tube/solid state input blending, a compressor, a noise gate, etc - and can easily power an extension (the head in it is 600 watts) if it needs to. I bought this amp for a practice amp and now use it for gigs.
  10. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I have tried the Ampeg B100R with my Azola bug. Did not like the results. Very boxy sounding. No matter what I did with the EQ, I just could not get happy with the sound. I sold it and got an Eden Time Traveler 110 combo, very cool little unit. Sounds great for URB and bass.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would go for the SWR Workingmans 12 as well. The Baby Blue is a great amp, but I feel that the 12 is a more versatile amp. You can push the 12 much harder, and it will have a deeper sound. If cost is part of the deal, than the WM is the only way to go.

If cost is not factored into the deal, I'd say look for one of the older Baby Blue II combos with the 2x8" config. They are excellent amplifiers that can handle the lows well, and give you a huge variety of tones. Good luck!
  12. MaxC85

Aug 22, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Swr workingman 12 Awsome amp. Very versitile. $550 in musicians friend.

I don't know how much it is offhand but the hartke kickback 12 is great as well. And it'll give u a little more punch with it's aluminum speaker
  13. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I've been using an Ashdown 130-12 lately and it rocks. It has a 130 watt power section, and a single 12. It also has a 5 band EQ with low and high boost. I like this amp much much more than my old SWR Working Mans 12. Plus they are less expensive.
  14. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    IMO (this week anyway) you can get by with a number of medium sized combos if you have a good preamp to use with the double bass. I agree with Christopher on the Tech 21 Acoustic DI. This little box is amazing when used direct into a PA or into a solid state BG amp. Things are still evolving, but I finally found a decent sound even with my Hartke Kickback. The Tech 21 brings in a warm, balanced tone and the sweepable mid control allowed me to loose the boom but keep the bass. This was a vast improvement over the K&K powerpack. Of course with my bass and my combo amp, I needed to loose a lot of sparkle and brightness. Maybe if I was using a tube amp to start with, the K&K would have been a better choice.