1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comcast Cable Company - San Francisco, CA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't normally like to share customer service experiences because they can be so subjective. Occasionally, a company performs so poorly that I find it is important to tell others, so that perhaps that company will understand that even though they hold a monopoly on their service, the power still belongs to the people. When the people stand up and demand proper treatment, companies have to change their practices. I believe this, firmly. I'm going to share a review that I'm posting in as many places as possible, so that others know of my story. I've had rabbit ears on my television for the last 8 years. I don't mind missing cable television or the likes. I have a VCR that I record shows that I like to watch. There aren't too many, but I'm not a person that believes that television is evil. I like Globe Trekker, Frontline, PBS in general, Amazing Race, 30 Rock, Scrubs, and seriously, I like watching The Bachelor. More importantly, I like football, and without cable, I get one good channel of football, (FOX), and one snowy channel, (CBS). I can live with that. I miss MNF because it's only on cable, but if I like the game I'll go to a bar and watch it, and I can no longer record games when I'm out because the VCR doesn't work with the new digital converter box I was forced to get. Plus, my DSL hasn't been working lately. So, I saw this Triple Play promotion for Comcast Cable. Including my $20/month Netflix subscription, which I would henceforth cancel as unnecessary, it would cost me $20/month more for Cable modem, phone, and television w/ DVR, then for my current phone, DSL, and Netflix. So, I said, okay, for football season, I'll do that. I can spend Sundays going for a run, having brunch w/ my lady, visiting friends, etc., then come home to my two DVRed games or highlight shows, and watch a 3 1/2 hour game in 1 hour. Plus, sometimes I'll get home late from work or school and flick on the TV, and there's only crap on. With a DVR and On Demand, I can watch less television, (w/o commercials), and only watch stuff I like, instead of being subjected to stuff I don't like, like the late night talk shows, etc. I think I'll go ahead and do it.

Here's the story:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So what happened? Did Garland ever call you?

-Mike

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm in. Awaiting update. I hate dealing with this type of stuff. Stick to your guns bro.

4. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm curious to know what happened.

As someone who spent a few years ion the call center for Comcast, I can say that I am appalled at the level of service described here. I care, because this is the company that provides me with the means to relieve GAS.

A quick note on one small part of the situation. When porting a telephone number from one provider to another, we are at the mercy of the original provider's pre-set guidelines. Any reschedule will, unfortunately, re-start the porting process, so a 5-day wait (from some providers) is unavoidable. I know that this was only secondary to the main problem here, but this is actually what I work with on a daily basis now, so I thought I would shed some light.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had comcast for 6 years and never had any sort of problems. One time, they even called me to tell me that my signal was weak, then came out and replaced some internal wiring.....for free. The only reason I don't have them now is that they didn't serve my new neighborhood when we were ready to have TV installed.

You have learned an important lesson....never leave the house when a serviceman is coming.

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    When I moved comcast came and installed a broken box (which I had to drive down to get replaced)...They screwed up my show time service, and I every time I thought they where calling me about 1 of my 2 issues it turned out to be them wanting me to take a customer service survey....man did I yell at a lot of surveyors.

7. It's strange how once a process like this starts to go bad, it just gets worse and worse. It's like some strange influence dooms the whole thing.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D

I had really forgot about all this. Repression is a wonderful thing. I had just posted it as a link in somebody else's thread about Comcast.

Anyway, the manager simply never called me. I was really upset about this whole thing. It just feels so frustrating to not get correct answers and to feel powerless, especially over something as stupid as cable television. When the manager never called, I simply dropped it. Everybody loved hearing the story though. You should read some of the other Yelp reviews, (a website I normally loathe).

About a month later I saw a promo for Dish TV through AT&T and decided to give it a try. It's promo was about $10/month less. They came and installed. It's funny, at first I was actually watching more TV. I had 100 channels! I'm used to 5! Then, the novelty wore off and I really love it. With how much I love football, it's perfect with the DVR. I really do go for a run every Sunday morning, then will have brunch with the Mrs., (either at home or one of the 1,000 great brunch places in the SF Bay Area), then go for a walk, or to a museum, or to a friend's, or something, then can watch the highlights and a full football game I recorded in less than 2 hours. It's FANtastic. Dish TV did make one error though. They brought the HD DVR box, and I don't have HD. This means that my DVR holds up to something like 350 hours of programming in SD. They gave us HBO and STARZ free for 3 months, and I've been recording a lot of movies to watch in the future.

My DVR is so boring though, it's filled with NFL shows, Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, House Hunters International, (we're in the market), The Universe, the Daily Show and Colbert Report, Globe Trekker, and every humanitarian special PBS has aired in the last 2 months. :D

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I only bumped it since you said you would provide us an update, so I was wondering if the guy ever did call.

-Mike