Comcast digital cable

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Got home today from business trip and the TV cable box wasn't working right...called Comcast and got a prerecorded message: they had reworked their network, follow this procedure to reset the digital cable i folowed their procedure, now the cable box doesn't work at all :( and their phone line is constantly busy....this sucks...
  2. forget comcast. i'm getting DSL and satellite -- more channels, less money.

Edit by Jazzbo: Let's try and avoid obscenity, even if it's masked. Thank you.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't have cable, or television. (I mean I have a TV, but no reception, so I just do Netflix). But, I'm a HUGE NFL fan, and come this NFL season I think I'll get Comcast's really basic $16/month cable, with no box. I get like 40 channels. I honestly want to ask people, is more than that really, truly necessary???
  4. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    More is definitely not necessary, I only watch about 3 of the 80+ channels that we have. Comcast is a bunch of bastages anyway, if their high speed inet didn't kick so much arse then I would definitely drop them fast!
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use the old rabbit ears. I can usually pick up all the major networks so that covers most football except for those ESPN games. I do have cable modem though. Apparently DSL was full to the max in my neighborhood so I signed up for cable modem for $29.99 through December '04. Then it goes back up to its normal price of whatever.99. I'm hoping they'll expand DSL by that time so I don't have to pay that much.

brad cook
  6. Yea, I had the whole comcast deal - you know, cable internet, cable TV..

well, Comcasts customer service sucks, and their alittle bit too much , so now I have DSL cable for my comp and dish network for my TV. It works alright, but comcast is faster for internet...
  7. Big time on that last point. We switched from BellSouth DSL to Comcast Hi-Speed, and Comcast is way better. Faster, smoother, cheaper, and no more 10-day network outages.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The high speed internet is the only reason Comcast gets my money. In my area, it is consistently much faster than DSL.

As far as cable TV......about all I watch of the extra channels is FoodTV. I gave up on the lame movie channels. They rig it so you have to buy the MEGA Platinum package. Each movie channel alone sucks just enough to not be worth it. They brag about six HBO's, but one is Latin, and the others just repeat the same movies back and forth all day.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    exactly. Same deal, the thought of no more 3mbps modem makes me feel panicky.
  10. We didn't get any of the premium movie channels, but I'm still really liking the digital cable. It's only $10 a month more than we were paying for basic, and I feel like we're getting a lot more for our money -- in other words, I'm watching a lot more TV than I used to! I'm digging Fuse, MTV2, ESPN Classic, BBC America, Independent Film Channel, the digital music options, and especially the On Demand stuff. We've stopped going to the video store to rent movies.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wait, that doesn't make sense to me. My DSL is 10.0mbps, and I always figured that that wasn't that great.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm on Comcast digital cable as well. I had to deal with 56k for about 5 months, and I felt like a Cro-mag striking rocks together in vain hopes of fire.