come as you are

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 15, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i am trying to play come as u r, but, i cannot use my tuner to tune d,g string down to i think it's b & f. How do i do this without a tuner?
  2. Dadgum Ed, cut the kid some slack willya? :)

He had the presence of mind to come to the "Setup" forum to ask the question. Most of these guys will just drop it on the "Basses" forum like that's all there is at TB. We owe these younger ones just a little less sarcasm. OK?

Oh, and Patrick - What Ed said! :)
  3. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    cheers mate thanks for the support, rather than the sarcasm!
    Oh yeh i know Al Gore is a undercover Communist
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I think Ed has done very well to actually decipher the post - I couldn't make anything of it!

Are we talking about the Nirvana song with the catchy (slightly flanged) bassline? I remember hesring this on the radio and thinking quite cool how such a simple line can sound so good.

It's definitely played on a bass with standard tuning - using open strings and notes at the 5th and 7th frets with one passing chromatic note at the 6th - all on the E and A strings. If you tune anything other than standard tuning you will just make an elegantly simple line, more difficult to play!! :rolleyes:
  5. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think I peed my pants.
  6. hmmm. I've always played the verse riff on the A and D strings between the 5th and 7th frets, without open strings.
    the opening flanged sound is a detuned guitar.

but check out Killing Joke's "Eighties"- very similar riff, but in dropped-d tuning.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Well you don't need the open strings, but it just makes it easier - the point is that if you down-tune it will make it harder. I can get a sound exactly like the opening riff on bass though a chorus/flanger and on the record it just sounds like bass on its own to me. I used to like Killing Joke - their bass player lived quite near to me and I used to see him in the local pub quite often! I remember playing riffs in bands myself, very much like the bass riff in question - I think the original inluence is Peter Hook from Joy Division days, who used to play though a flanger and often used a 6-string bass.
  8. yeah, I used to think that it was bass on the intro. maybe it is two basses on the song. I just saw a guitar tab for the intro/verse flanged riff.
    re. Peter Hook, that "24Hrs" chorused riff with Joy Division is a classic. I think he was using a Rick 4001 back then (correct me if i'm wrong), before the Yamaha, Shergold 6string and the Eccleshall semi acoustic.
    Simon Gallup of The Cure used chorus a lot too (some could call him a Hook imitator) and got an interesting sound on the Cure In Orange video with a MM Stingray through chorus and sometimes flanger too- "Piggy In The Mirror" and "Primary" being standout basslines.
    Steve Severin of the Banshees used the Stingray through chorus sound too.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

I saw Souxsie and the Banshees in 77/78 with the original line-up and they sounded amazing. I can't remember the original guitarist's name, but his sound was very innovative and I think he helped Severin with effects. I heard them later after the guitarist and drummer walked out and they were nothing like as good.

I was in bands at the time and was raving about the Banshees sound and was a blatant copyist - so much so that I was "sent up" in the college magazine as an Existentialist Punk fronting a band called "Brucie and the Banshees" - I was studying philosophy at the time and my two obsessions were Heidegger and Punk - they did a whole series on me !!
  10. did you get to see the Stranglers too? I avoid getting a black maple-neck P-bass to hide my JJ Burnel influence (I play with my fingers only, though).

the Banshees' original guitarist was John McKay- I'm a big fan of later guitarist John McGeogh's playing too- originally in Magazine- and Barry Adamson came up with some great basslines in Magazine too.
    Robert Smith of The Cure filled in on both occasions the guitarists left, and he pinched a fair few ideas off both of them.
    a while back someone sent in a chart of worst playing ever on records to the Melody Maker, and the bass on "Hong Kong Garden" was in it (also on the list (dubbed "anally retentive" by the Melody Maker) was the bass on the Manic Street Preachers' "You Love Us"), and John McGeogh said in an interview that Severin couldn't play the bass, but I think he came up with some good stuff on "Christine" and "Happy House".
    I think Placebo owe a lot to Joy Division, The Banshees and The Cure.

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 12-17-2000 at 07:49 AM]
  11. Ok guys, I'm not sure where this topic has headed to or where I will put it but get it back to setup or it's gonna go somewhere...(stamps his foot)
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - saw the Stranglers at about the same time and they were amazing - they carried on playing despite the fact that the crowd had pulled the ceiling down by the end of the gig! Bass sound was the best I'd heard at the time - so aggressive - but what I liked about the Stanglers and the Banshees was that they played with energy but didn't resort to just masses of distortion. I thought Severin couldn't really play, but the overall sound they got live was amazing - a lot of stereo imaged flanging/chorus.

Barry Adamson is my favourite bass player from that era - I tried to copy all his lines and incorporate them into my own stuff - I've got all the Magazine stuff on CD and it still sounds great today - especially "Correct Use of Soap".
    I still remember all the Magazine basslines from playing along to them so many times!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - was it ever? I thought it was really about how you play a certain song, which is clearly influenced by something like this.....but anyway who cares really? No harm done.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999