1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Come Back" Foo Fighter's tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gabeja15, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the intro tone just right on my bass. Technically its the guitarist, but it shouldn't be too hard to emulate

Ive been fooling around by putting my G&L SB-2 at full P and half J through my Boss ODB-3 then an ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff with mixed results.

Any suggestions?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    That's actually going to be a pretty tough tone to match. It's very hard to get "crunch" on bass with that level of control. If I were going for that tone I'd definitely blend the dirt so the underlying note comes through. Maybe a BassDrive? I don't know.

I really thought this was going to be about that weird little filter sound on the bass during the acoustic guitar breakdown at the end.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nate Mendel does use a Bass Drive. Not sure if that's what he used on that song but he does have one in his board.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    True, and probably part of the reason the Bassdrive came to mind for me. But he wants to try to approximate the guitar tone in the opening on bass - a tall task IMO.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, that's very different. Must have missed that part. Never mind.