Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Come forth you owners of Heir 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zanthrax, Nov 17, 2002.

1. I'm in the search for a fiver, but... I have some demands... :eek: (Sounds scary doesn't it?) First I would like a bass that is pretty versatile but from the soundclips I've heard I think I would like the sound of the Heir. (Muchous gracias to Adrian for the soundclips at Access Bass ) Second... My brother wants to start a Dream Theater coverband this summer and I would like to be able to play "my" parts... What has this got to do with my "demands"? Well... My questions are: How is the neck? Is it fast? Tapping? Is the Heir-neck suited for tapping?

A potential purchase ain't due untill next year and will try to test it before I buy it (the nearest store I know that has them is around 1000 kilometers/621.37 miles from where I live)... But it doesn't hurt to be prepared. :D

And an pickup related question: Is it possible to split the MM pickup?

I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

2. Arent there any owners of Heir 5 here? :confused:

Feel free to answer if you've had one. You're welcome to answer even if you've only tested it for 5 minutes in a store!!! (See how desperate I am...)

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Do a search on keyword "heir". I think you'll find quite a bit.

4. Not quite a bit... A million threads comes up... Belive me I've searched a couple of times...

The thing is that when I've searched I've come up with so many threads that it's extremely difficult to find the information I'm looking for. I've found several threads were people have tried them or bought them and they say that they like how they feel, like how the b-string feels, so on and so forth... But theese statements doesn't answer the specific questions I have... :(

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The neck is a lot like an MTD, a little thicker. Fast? Sure. IF you are. Tapping? The neck is stable enough to get the action pretty low, and the tone is pretty darn clear.

IMHO you can tap on ANY bass. The thing about the Heir is that it's one of the best things going at that price point.

6. The neck is a really, really great shape. It's narrow at the nut, but wide at the bridge, and it's assymetrical. It's unbelievably comfortable. The 35" scale does show up on the top few frets, but it's not bad. The MM pup can't be split, unfortunatly. I believe that Bartolini makes a pickups that will fit in the Heir, and that one can be set up with a switch, I think. I love mine. I can't really speak for the tapping, though, as I don't ever really do it.

7. Glad to finally hear some comments! :D

It seems to me like the neck is fast and has a nice feel, that was exactly what I wished to hear. (Yes I know that I have to be fast too BUT it has nice to have a neck that you don't have to fight to be fast on.) It's also nice to hear that it's possbile to get fairly low action (that would also help in the speed apartment). Tapping... Yes you can tap on any bass (so far I haven't com across one you couldn't tap on) but again, some necks are better suited for tapping than others...

Shame on the nonsplit pickup... By the way, from what I've read there is no direct replacement pickup for the 5-string Heir...

8. I'm not positive abot the bart replacement pickups, but on their website, www.bartolini.net, the MM5CBC looks like it would fit. I'm not sure though. I think it's the same pup used on the Lakland 5 strings. You could probably rig the pickup so that it could be split, if you know what you're doing.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just a thought, it is almost impossible to play many of the post-Images & Words album material on a Five.

John Myung uses (almost exclusively) six strings and a lot of the bass parts (ie intro to Glass Prison, Voices etc) rely on the entire range of the 6!

Just a thought!

10. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The dimensions are not exactly the same.

11. A six... Thats not nice of him... :mad: This means I will have to rethink the whole thing... Well, well... *sigh*