Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Come on come over (!)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jongor, Sep 19, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Hey,

I'm attempting this classic Jaco song, any pointers on how to make it easier....? Chords?

Especially the chorus...wow.

I pulled this out after listening to Weather Reports '77 release Heavy Weather today, amazing stuff, killer tone.

2. hit the woodshed, nothings gonna make that song easy. make sure your 16th note funk groovin ability is up ta par.

Make sure your hittin accented notes, realize ghosted notes aren't as important as the others. Concentrate on makin it funky as well as playin it technically correct.

Pretty much learn it, play it, sit down and listen to it till you can play it so you feelin the funk.

Get those finga's workin most of all. I tried to learn it a while ago, and thought I had it well, until I sat down and really listened. I just wasn't playin it with the style Jaco put into it.

I tried harder. Enjoy it, one of the funkiest groove's ever.

(if you wanna work on the 16th note funk grooves, break out some Tower of Power, learnin Rocco lines will put the funk in ya blood big time)

3. listen to the live version of "The Chicken" and the studio cut "River People" for insight into Jaco's killer 16th note style. get those under your fingers and you'll be a dangerous funk player!

from the low end,

Stew

4. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    "River People" is the clearest example of the 16th notes style. When you can get through that whole tune without stopping, go back to "Come on , Come Over" and just work out the "dead notes" in the chorus, then you'll be in business.
    Also, is there anyone out there that remembers a great technique book by a woman named Valda Hammick? It was like an encyclopedia of 16th note groove patterns; very methodic and thorough. It preps you for the Jaco stuff very well. I can't remember the publisher, unfortunately.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    River people is a workout!

That song and Kuru/speak like a child are the two greatest contributors to my 16th note chops

6. it ain't Jaco, but being able to play "What is Hip?" cleanly has done a great deal for playing 16th.

actually anything of Rocco's or of Paul Jackson's will help someone get a grip on Jaco's stuff.

remember, though, it's all about the pocket, not the flash.

:D

from the low end,

Stew

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto