Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Come on Fender!! you were so close to the Bass VI this time!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 12, 2004.

1. give me a break! Fender was so close to reissuing the Bass VI, but couldn't quite make it...
    http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0259400
    it looks so close...so right...
    except that its 28.5" scale (bass VI is 30") and its only got 2 pups (Bass VI has three)... :bawl:
    maybe i am being too picky, but this only increases my GAS for a bass VI!
    this is really frustrating! they even said that this baritone jaguar was for those who wanted the sound of a Bass VI. why couldn't they just make the real deal??!!

I think this instrument has been covered on TB already, but this is more of a late night rant!

Thanks for putting up with me,
    Charlie

2. Didn't they reissue it in the mid 90s? Plus it's available in Japan only as a MIJ reissue, which you can import through Ishibashi or something. Still, the Bass VI is cool, it would be nice to see a new reissue (preferably American??).

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    idea!! " i know...lets get all those MIJ jag reissue stock parts that arent selling..wack on a baritone neck..obviously it cant be a 30inch because the bridge and trem are already set and then flog it to those yanks because i hear shecter are coming out with something cool pretty soon so lets cover it ....let the japanese handle the whole thing but for god sake dont let them choose the name...otherwise it will probably end up being something like bottom meister!!!"

EDIT(JT) : removed derrogatory term for japanese.

4. :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I recently spent some quality time with a Jaguar Baritone and I was quite positively impressed. It doesn't have quite the thump of my P-Bass but for a guitar, bass and drums trio it makes a lot of sense. I have loved the concept of the Bass VI for a long time but I like the Jaguar plenty in its own right. It gets rid of the one thing I didn't like about a Bass VI, the trem. (Sorry if that seems radical but I just don't want a trem on a bass or baritone guitar.)

6. Hey, they reissued them in the 90's, and they didn't even sell, until they were discontinued, no one cared.

I hope the people that relentlessly barked at Fender make this version a hit. If not, then Fender will never make anything cool again...so put your money where your moans are.

:bassist:

7. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I guess that is the problem. Everyone wants these interesting instruments to be available but if they don't sell all that well, away they go, back into obscurity. I wasn't planning on another instrument until tax-refund time but I am sorely tempted to buy one while the getting is good. Im many ways this guitar solves a lot of my personal Fender issues. I have always wanted a Bass VI and a Jazzmaster (except for the funky tremolos on either of these instruments). This gets me a Jazmaster/Jaguar shape and the Bass VI functionality in one instrument. Oh yeah, I've never had a Fender three color sunburst either so in a way the Baritone Jag is a dream come true. (Can you tell, I'm talking myself into something here). Gotta go, I can't afford not to buy one of these. :)

8. Hmmm. My only gripe about this one is the lack of vibrato...but a handrouter and aftermarket endpiece can fix that...

Yeah, thing is, Fender handed us a cool, affordable Bass VI reissue, and two years later it's put into the "obscure collectable" market where people price gouge it upwards of 4 times its original asking price. I think that is just plain crazy...

So, in essence, Fender is giving you a final chance. So don't cry when this one is gone.

And BanderR, talk yourself into it, as it looks to be a keeper, now that the cheap Dano baritones are out of production too....

9. yeah, i have been giving up on the Bass VI and might just one day get that jag baritone. the trem doesn't bother me, although the scale really really does. i want a 30" neck!

i guess i just got into music playing at the wrong time! they stopped making the reissue about three years after i started! now everybody even has the reissues at immoral prices!

Charlie

10. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Racist posting deleted by Moderator

11. generally MIA guitars & basses are a better quality, or at least a more consistant quality...MIJs and MIMs are kind of hit or miss, you can get a really good one, but you can also get a horribly bad one.

as for fender making me one, like they did for tye zamora, i would except for the fact that fender custom shop is extremely overpriced imo, zamora's bass runs in the $4K range, in which case i could buy an original fender bass VI from the 60's.
    otherwise i could make my own with parts from usa custom parts, but i don't really want to put a bass together while i am up at college!

Charlie

12. Just keep convincing yourself of that. I'm not trying to start anything, but I hear this like mantra, and it's just not any more true of MIM than it is of MIA.

I've played some the crappiest MIA basses ever, and likewise for MIM. Personally, I use this equation: the benefit to my wallet vs. feel vs. what you REALLY get for the extra cash (big deal about pickups or a "better" bridge) as qualifiers. I've never met an MIA that would convince me that an equally properly set up MIM cousin sitting right next to it is 500 dollars inferior. If you DO, well, I'd say you're crazy.

Moreso for the Japanese made product. I'd not say it surpasses it, but like the MIM, gives the MIA a definite run for the money.

You say MIA is better 1 million times, and all of a sudden it's taken as canon.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played and owned both and my experience has been the opposite of this statement. I had a really nice MIM, but my MIA kills it and every MIM I've played. The MIJs I've played are very close to being equal to MIAs but they're missing something that I can't define. I have played some MIAs and MIMs that desperately need a set-up, but I'm pretty good at evaluating what a bass will belike with a proper setup.

I remember the last Bass VI reissue, stores had them for months and months without selling. They were great, but a small market. The problem with a small market instrument like this is once you make them for a couple years, you're competing with the used market, and the people who really want something unusual like this don't care whether it's new or used.

14. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I take it on an individual basis. I have played good and bad of MIM, MIJ, CIJ and MIA Fenders. It is also complicated by setup because a bad setup can render ANY instrument unplayable and in a strore setup is usually pretty inconsistent. At one time I had two MIM Jazz basses one with frets and one without. The fretless was great sounding but the fretted was a funky slap & pop machine and I never got the sound I wanted from it no matter what I tried in the way of strings and setup. Fortunately, my nephew wanted a bass with a good slap sound so I sold it to him.

15. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I think there is also something at work here that I will call the Jeep effect. There are usually a lot of almost new Jeep Wranglers on the market because there are many mature people that have always wanted a Jeep and buy a nice new one when they have the opportunity. Then a few months later they sell it because their craving to own one has been satisfied and they decide that their money is better used for something a bit more mainstream (like a Camry). IMHO it's just that something novel appeals to them but by the time they can afford it they don't really want to accept the compromises of ownership and they part with it when the novelty wears off.

The same may be true of a Bass VI. A lot of people have wanted one but once it is obtained and the novelty wears off they decide to sell it which puts it in competition with the new ones from the factory.

16. I'm not taking it as canon, i am just saying that basses that are made in america seem to have a better quality to them, compared to basses made in mexico. I am always open to a MIM being better than an MIA, i just have't seen it yet.

and please keep in mind, that's why i said generally. that means that there are some MIM and MIJ basses that are superior to MIA basses, but i still think that MIAs are usually a little better.

but tone and feel are such a subjective thing...what might be a fat neck to one bassist may be a thin neck to another, and so on...

17. Of course, and really, I was making a generalization, not directly towards you, but as a "consensus feeling"...

Of course MIA, by way of whatever, are going to be a better instrument, be it thru a bit more attention to detail this, or pickup quality that, but I've yet to see, as I've said, a qualifier for a 500+ dollar difference.

That said, I've rocked basses from practically every localle and my main gig bass, save for my homebuild, is an MIM P Special...why? When well set up, I don't even have to think about playing it. It's effortless. An extension of my "will"...

And THAT is the quality next to tone that is the #1 qualifier for my purchase...

Have a good one!

18. :)

19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think this is true for so many different products. Relating it back to our niche here, it's also why I think that some of the boutique basses and styles of bass seem to go through waves of popularity and then there seems to be a lot of them on the secondhand market.

20. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    This couples with the fact that many of these instruments were never big sellers. The Bass VI is probably one of the most obscure Fenders of its era which is not to suggest that it is a bad instrument, it is just out of the main stream. They are a very good idea IMHO but their appeal and utility are not without limits.

When I most recently played a Jaguar Baritone I found its greatest strength as an instrument when I quit playing it like a bass and started playing it like a guitar. Suddenly my thinking changed and I was able to play long arpeggios that would be nearly impossible on a bass. I guess that the best analagy would be the difference between a Baritone Sax and a Tuba. Both can play low notes and do a decent job in covering a bass line but the sax is definitely capable of some very agile moves that would not come so easy on a Tuba. OTOH a Tuba brings a lot of strength to the low end of its range and has a presence that the sax does not.

The place I see a Bass VI of Jaguar Baritone being most useful would be in a trio setting where everyone is keeping pretty busy. In that situation it is nearly perfect for adding a quck fill in the upper register and then getting back to the bass line. It also is a natural for (carefully voiced) chords in the upper register while still having the bass notes ready to go. I notified a music dealer friend that I wanted one and expect to have it within 6 weeks or so. I guess that my earlier post did talk me into buying one.