1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Come out come out wherever you are!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rock-Bassman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Where is the "growl" hiding if you will in a jazz bass? The woods, body, neck, pickups, ect. :bag: Sorry if this starts some fire thowing :ninja:

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Fingers.

3. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    ??? I need fingers :p ??? I get what youre saying but playing a p-bass with your fingers dont get ya no growl man!!!

4. add some mid, roll off the neck pick-up a tad and it should give it a ok growly tone at least it does for me, then again i tend to use picks and give it punkish tone and then kick on the overdrive

5. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I suspect that it is in the pickups mostly. Imagine putting a P-bass pickup in a jazz body: would it still growl as much? I do think that some woods are more suitable for a growly tone.

6. Use a pick. Best way to get growl from a jazz bass or any bass IMO.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If you are asking why Jazz basses growl, it is in the pickups and pickup placement, especially the bridge pickup.

If you own a Jazz and you're not getting growl, dial down the neck pickup a bit, make sure the tone control is all the way up, and dig in. You will get growl. I get growl with both pickups on full with my Geddy Lee sig, when I dig in hard.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Definitely in the pickups! I have a MIM J that I replaced the stock pickups with some Stan Hinsley Split J pups (humbucking like a P, hotter output with more winds around the coils) and the growl came out a lot more, especially from the bridge pup.

Obviously changing the pups is not something for everyone, so I'd try maybe a different set of strings with more mid content (my favorite is DR Sunbeam/Hi-beam), or just digging in more. You could also try lowering the action or raising the pickup height. If you haven't done it before, I'd get a tech to change these things for you though. :D

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Also, make sure you are picking, whether with your fingers or a pick, near the bridge pickup for the most aggressive tone. Picking over the neck pickup or closer to the neck will yield a smoother, mellower tone.

10. Turning down the bass and the low mids up on your amp makes a big difference as well.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

You aren't trying hard enough then. ;)