Come to me, my FBB bretheren!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, after copious amounts of wailing, gnashing of teeth, whining, and just plain actually going to work...I got the specs ironed out for my FBB.

Looks like mines going to be 68-02. Specs as follows

BEAD 4 string
    34" scale, 24 frets
    Jive body shape with 15-99's headstock
    Wenge/Bloodwood neck
    Wenge fingerboard
    Walnut body with Padauk top (and a neck cap, so the NT will be covered)
    Black hardware
    Aggie OBP-3 18v preamp
    Schaller straplocks
    1 5/8" at nut, and as has been suggested, I've asked him to roll the edges of his fingerboards a bit more., Xush, don't kill me...but the pickups will be pretty much the same as yours. Same 3 J pups, same 2 blend setup (different preamp though). Consider it flattery. After searching for hours, Matt directed me to your sound sample of the Wenge/Walnut monster, and it was the THE sound I've been looking for. So, that's the electronic package I opted for.

Deposit goes down on soon, and construction time should have me getting it about April or May.

And no, I WON'T miss the G. Get over it. :D
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds great, Brendan! I really don't think Mark's gonna mind your use of his pickup config. His wasn't Matt's first like that, so Mark did a little infringement of his own! It is FANTASTIC, though! I found more versatility on that bass than on any other I've ever picked up. In 5 minutes, I was finding sounds Mark hadn't found on it. It nailed the Thunderbird tone perfectly, which was probably the most awesome thing about it, to me (but maybe you'll find the sound of the "P-Bass of Doom" in it). Maybe at the next ATL get-together we'll all be able to get our FBBs together, and make our presence felt against JT's Conklins. I like that headstock, too. Are you gonna go with exposed stripes, or put a Paduak cap on the head? It's a good idea getting him to roll the edges of the fingerboard a bit more, too. I can't wait for the in-progress pics on this one!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No headstock veneer. But I think it'll look cool with the wenge fingerboard. I'm not too worried. Though, I might be able to squeeze it in...I've got a bit of time to sit on it before the deposit goes out, so it's up for the board to consider!

And, I'm not too worried. I think beween the Neck and Mid pup, I can work out a suitably cantankerous P sound! And yes, if you guy's can get TB Atl schedualed in late may, I can swing a trip up to show off the FBB of doom.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    wow, that looks like some nice specs. I love how mine turned out, and I sense enough similarities in yours that I'm vicariously excited about it!

Are you going to slant the p'ups, or go straight?
    I think you'll really enjoy the 2 blend setup; you really can get just about anything you're looking for with that config.

With a hidden neck-thru, I'd certainly consider a Headstock veneer, but then that's just me...

I guess we'll be cousins or summat...

I'm going to try the Aggie OBP3 in my 8 string.

I'm hoping to host another Bass Summit here in Alabammy soon. Maybe some of the Atlanta guys can make it down? I guess FL is a little far, but hey, if you go to GA, you may as well come here, eh?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Straight pups. I'm looking more and more at the's, what? another $50? Just have to work longer I guess...

Would you slant the pups for any reason?
  6. glad you made your choice. the theory behind slanted pups (bass side leaning towards bridge) is tighter lows, warmer highs. seems to work for me.

what do the controls do? i'm very curious. if you can get the option to wire any 2 of the pickups together in series, that would be an ASTOUNDING bass.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It works on 2 blends. One blends the neck and middle pups, and the 2nd blend blends that signal in with the bridge pup, so you can have any combination of the 3.

And I know why people slant pups; I was asking Mark if there was anything he noticed on his bass that would warrant slanting them.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    so it wouldn't be exactly like mine... ;-) just kidding!

I'm curious about how much of a difference it would make, but not because of anything lacking. I really like mine the way it is. I just wonder what it would sound like slanted. It's plenty tight and warm like it is though, no reason to change it.

I'd be a little scared of messing with the recipe though; the wenge/walnut/3 p'up/2 blend combo is so nice! Perfect, in my opinion.
  9. Heed the vibrations of the mighty FBB, oh thou inhabitors of the lower regions, and when thou hast... ehh fergit it. It's hard to mimic Charlton Heston on Monday mornings.

Well it looks like I slipped in right in front of you! I put a deposit down on #1067-02 about 3 weeks ago. I opted to get some of that lovely cocobolo Matt has in stock slapped on the front and backside of some mahogany with some macassar ebony gracing the fingerboard. Looks like my neck combo is pretty close to yours with the wenge/bloodwood. I'm also getting some flame maple scrunched down the center and a macassar cap on the backside with cocobolo headstock veneer.

I also went with the Aggy OBP-3 with a couple o' Bart soapbars.

I figger it'll look just fine beside #'s 13 and 20 which are muh pride 'n' joy! (sniff).

Looks like Xush and I are heading the pack to see who can amass the most FBB's. :D
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Wow, how did I miss this thread?

The specs for #68-02 sound really nice, Brendan. The Wenge/Bloodwood neck and Wenge fretboard is a great combination. Nice headstock choice, too.

Grab a cup of coffee, I'll save you a seat in line while I'm waiting for #65. :)
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm going to NYC from the 1st-6th, so the deposit goes down on it sometime after I get back, most likely that week of the 7th.

I decided I would get the headstock veneer, wich puts the bass Just to my limit. So, no LEDs in this bad boy. :( Shame too. Next one. The NEXT one!

Now I just need a few extra things, like a Comfort Strapp and a Hardshell case, but those'll come in time...
  12. Welcome to the family. Put down your deposit, toolio.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, we have a ways to go to catch up with Steve S, he's got 4...

steve's collection
  14. Dang! I didn't know. I feel so... inadequate.