Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comfort

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fludane, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Post here for most comfortable basses to play ; can be in terms of neck, string spacing, etc.
    Spit out all your opinions here on why you think it is most comfortable.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Easy - MM Sterling.

Why? Who knows, but I'd guess because of the smaller body, smaller headstock (less weight), fantastic J neck contour, and proper balance.

3. Peavey Millenium 5s.I like the 35" scale and the neck is a little narrower than the Kingston 5 I had.I play fingerstyle and don't slap much so the narrower profile works just right for me,I can play longer without my left hand getting tired.They balance really well too because of the longer horn.The B string is tight so i can play it the same way as the other strings and they keep a setup real well so I don't have to worry about string buzz as much as some of my previous basses.I've got two and either one I pick up to play feels right and sounds right every time.I guess thats why I have two.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think my Skyline JO5 is pretty comfy to play.... nice jazz body so it's all kindsa curvy, 35" scale neck, nice string spacing, just all kindsa goodness!

P@

:D

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    That is a good question. I own and play a number of basses, and over a period of time have decided that I like a P size neck. My J necks play fine, but I just seem to have more comfort and ease on the wider neck. Then I got a Monarch, and it blew the rest out of the water. J size neck, but it just seems to fit me perfect. It seems like it plays itself. My least comfortable bass was a 55-94. The combination of scale length and string spacing killed my wrist as no other bass has ever done, other 5's and even 6's aside.
    Doc

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The most comfortable bass I have played is a five string Warwick SS 2. The contour of the body is nicely shaped. Overall, the body has a well balanced feel (in terms of weight.)

I own a Warwick Corvette Standard which, although it doesn't have the contour of the SS 2, is quite comfortable, also.