1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Comfortable dress shoes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    If you're like me and have to dress nice for gigs and prefer to stand when you play, you appreciate a comfortable pair of dress shoes. I recently bought a pair of Bostonian Wenham cap-toe oxfords in brown and they are probably the most comfortable dress shoes I've ever owned. They are lightweight, affordable, and they look good in an understated way. They also come in wide and extra-wide widths, which is what initially caught my attention. I just bought a second pair in black and it's nice not having aching feet after a long gig. I just thought I'd pass this along.

- Steve

2. I was a fan of SAS until I tried on my first pair of lightweight Rockports. I'll have to try the Wenhams.

3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

What shoes are best for Walking?
    (sorry).

J_Bass, rickwolff, Inky13 and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm going to say Red Mitchell's

5. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"Can I get more piano in the monitors?"
    Also - those sound like "gut" laces to me.

6. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i wear crocs.....don't tell anyone. no one is looking at my feet.....i hope.

i'm looking at it from Andy Duphresne from Shawshank Redemption's point of view. :)

but in all honesty....they are the most comfortable shoe....soft sole and great arch support.

7. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    I love wearing sneakers on stage, but then again I play mostly rock/pop/blues. We don't dress up that much.

(Actually, I think I dress down compared to my day job) ;)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    So funny that you posted this. I have extra wide feet and discovered these exact same shoes this summer. I wear them every day to work and also on stage. My feet don't hurt for once, and for that I am grateful! Small world. :)

Steve Boisen likes this.
  9. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I also like the Rockport World Tour for comfort, but it's a more casual shoe. I have them in brown and I'll wear them with jeans or khakis with a blazer, but not a suit.

- Steve

10. Bostonian does make comfortable shoes. My everyday work shoe is the Bostonian Flexlite, Bolton slip-on dress shoe (?). For what its worth, I usually avoid cap toe shoes since they give the illusion of the foot being shorter. I like a longer, slender look.

When I wear a suit, I bring out my nice shoes: Magnanni

11. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or Alden 907, both cap toe balmorals, are what I usually wear when playing. I especially like the Alden Hampton last for my wide feet- very comfortable even on the longest gigs...but in full disclosure, I do play seated.

I also have a pair of nice Nocona western boots in a nice, understated black leather that get a lot of dress gig use, and not just on country gigs! :cool:

I wish I had a more comfortable pair of patent leather shoes to wear with the tux though...:rollno:

12. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I wear the Bostonian Whip Toe Cap in black or brown when I perform - love them. I also have a Bostonian low boot in black - Grantt Pryce - which are ok but not as comfortable

13. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have never found a pair of dress shoes I liked. I'll have to check these out.

14. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    These may be too distinctive looking for some, but I've had great luck with basic Dr. Martin's brown Oxford plain toe shoes. I play a lot of trad, so my gig clothes tend to be more blue/brown "summer suits", so these really look great and have a nice wide, cushioned sole for standing up all night. FYI, they also make them in black without the signature yellow stiching, which I am considering getting to pair with my more conservative grey pinstriped suit.

15. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Clemson, SC
    I do a lot of standing for hours at a time in my day job as well. A family member first introduced me to Mephisto (MEPHISTO® USA - Official MEPHISTO Online Shop | Mephisto shoes. My first thought was, "I'm not paying $300 for a pair of shoes." But after biting the bullet and buying a pair of black oxfords, they are fabulous. Easily the most comfortable, most supportive dress shoes I have ever worn.

16. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    I wear a pair of black work boots. Very comfortable and no one notices if you're in a large group of people. Plus you can touch it up with a black sharpie

17. Thanks. I'll look into cap-toed shoes. I've got a long slender look already with size 13s, so making my feet look a little smaller would be a good thing.

One thing I've learned:

NEVER buy shoes online.

Variances in manufacturing tolerances means the shoes most likely won't fit me. Gotta try'em before I buy'em.

Not to mention requesting shoes in US size and being sent UK size... and other online ordering nightmares...

DC Bass likes this.
  18. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    This is really good advice for many shoe brands, but I've found Allen Edmonds shoes to be very consistent. If you know your correct size and the last that fits your foot best, you can buy online with confidence.

Joe

19. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I know everyone has been anxiously waiting for an update on this thread ;)

Apparently Bostonian was purchased by Clark's and they no longer make the Wenham shoe in extra-wide widths. I recently bought a pair in the regular wide width and found them very uncomfortable. Luckily, I found the Florsheim Midtown cap-toe oxford which comes in widths up to 5E. It's similar in appearance to the Wenham, but it has a more rounded toe and is of heavier construction. It's also more expensive, but appears to be built to last. So far it's been pretty comfortable to wear on four-hour gigs.

- Steve

tonequixote likes this.
  20. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Been wearing the same pair of black, Vibram soled Hush Puppies with my tux for the last twenty some years. Had them resoled a few times but the tops have held up so well I could reasonably look forward to being buried in them. Very comfy for my wide feet. And the company’s still in business (no thanks to me).