comfortable way to hold a pic

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by heckheckheck, Jul 31, 2003.

1. how ever i hold a pick while playing bass it dosn't feel comfortable.... any tips on hand, arm, finger position? or any other tips?
  2. I like to just touch the pick with my thumb and first finger. My pinky rests on the bottom of the pickup. I try not to move my arm much, just the wrist. Not sure if this is the "correct" way to do it, though.
  3. bortzi

Aug 2, 2003
    first I worn I don't speack english very well but hope you understand

to play with plectrum (pick) could be very unpleasant by the bigining as in any other technique... you have to practice to develop your muscle and give your hand enough time to get used with the movement and geometri of your bass ...normally you hold the pick between tumb and index for this allows you to play wsing the wrist or in case of speed take advanteges of moving booth your 2 mentioned fingers... the little finger and the base of your hand should rest on string near the bridge to prevent unneaded sound (but rest relaxed , do not pres to much)... get you time and practice easilly ... *take the pick and place your right hand and rest a while... make some quarters on the same string and try to feel the sring ...try to keep your pick dry and in a fix possition (shouldn't rotate)... next use exercise on 2 strings near each other .. then pass a sting (8-va) .. to enjoy your work play some melodies ...
    *you can play on different position on the string (near the neck it sounds closer to finger) and practicing a walk on the string you observ it's normally to use even your arm so don't lock your arm (your hand has a natural movement)...
    * the angle of the pick when stricking the string is important (it should be near paralel with the string other way you hear lots of scraches)...

*so take it sloully.. and trust you and your succes.... get frien with your takes a while (practice dailly .. at start you get worm remember) but it comes

*hope it's usefull!
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Hold the pick between your thumb and index finger.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I try to keep a pivotal point wheere my fore-arm rests against the bass. THe less arm action, the better.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Most comfortanble way for me is to hold the pick between the inner/upper thumb and upperside of my index finger with the rest of my fingers open. I find it less stressful on the inner part of my hand the easier to hold than the wussy way of keeping a closed hand. And instead of using my wrist, I rely on my whole arm for strokes.

7. cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    There is not a black & white answer to this question, just 14 shades of Staind reference for the day.

It all comes down to trials and practicing. Try different thicknesses and different types of picks...not just teardrop. Try different hand and finger positions. I do it with pick in tips of thumb and index finger and all other fingers outstretched due to my guitar days of keeping all unecessary fingers out of the way, and early on, they were..don't ask. Jason Newstead of Flotsom & Jetsom er uh, I mean Metallica er uh, I mean Ozzy or is it Voivod or...anyway, he uses a large triangle shaped 1.0mm pick and chokes up on it so just a little part of it sticks out and holds it with thumb, index, and middle fingers, and hooking pinky finger under pickup claiming it gives him more control over the to each his own my man....thump on....