Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comics, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, May 5, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In an unrelated thread, I made a quick tabulation of my comics.

On my computer, I've got at least 1400 issues of various series (and more coming every day), and another 300+ in print.

Did I mention I'm an avid consumer of both literature and art? :)

A Quick list off the top of my head:
    Swamp Thing (v1, 2 and I might get around to 3)
    the Flash (50-200)
    Transmet (all)
    Preacher (all)
    Savage Dragon (26)
    The Invisibles (all)
    Spawn (129)
    Wolverine (189)
    Deadpool (69+ misc)
    Punisher (23)
    Hellblazer (189)
    Hellboy (All)
    Grendel (40+ misc)
    V for Vendetta (all)
    The Authority (29)
    Witchblade (waste of time... 67)
    Planetary (18)

Then there's a bunch of one-off stuff that ranges from 2 issues to 30 or more , like Hard Boiled and the Dark Knight series (which is huge. Maybe a "regular" 30+ issues? more?) by Miller, and the Watchmen; It's quite a bit.

And that's just on my computer!

I also consume about 75-80 webcomics on a semi-regular basis, and about baker's dozen daily. I re-read numerous ones (which can take awhile on a daily comic going back to '99 or earlier!), and am in general a big fan of the comic medium.

Anyone esle?

2. I used to collect in college, but my collection suffered serious "roommate erosion." And cat-piss. Sure, they were all in plastic, but it was a nasty smelly job to rescue them.

My all-time favorite is American Flagg.

Wakka-ding-hoy!

-M

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My mom threw most my comics out :bawl:

I also used to read my cousin's comics, but my Aunt sold those when he went to college. :bawl: :bawl:

I had (and might still have) all the "Death of Superman" comics. I had a bunch of DC JLA comics, most of which dealt with the DC universe after Superman died. I started losing interest in them after all the Supermans started emerging and one was a doppelganger, while another was the soul of a vengeful astronaut etc. etc.

-Lots of Batman (up to, and after, the Nightfall series)
    -Some Green Lantern(weird period in the story arc)
    -LOTS AND LOTS of Wolverine (my fave X-man, as cliched as it is, it's mostly my brother's fault.)
    -An equally copious amount of X-men
    -Lots of Ghost Rider
    -Spider-Man and Fantastic Four, mostly from my cousin
    -Lots of Punisher, also from my cousin. I'm hoping the movie won't suck.

Many, if not all of these are gone. I've considered looking into collecting them again, but I don't have the time, nor the money to really pursue it. Though I have been browsing through the local dollar store and have found a few cool things there.

I have started a new collection, more tame and "adult", but still good. Right now I have

-All of Mike Mignola's Hellboys
    -V for Vendetta (all)
    -Watchmen(all)
    -Dark Knight Returns & Batman:Year One
    -League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1
    -Tank Girl (all the original ones that appeared in Deadline)
    -1 Milk & Cheese, looking for more
    -2 Groos
    -3 Osagi Yojimbo
    -Most of the Big Book series from Paradox Press
    -Blue Monday:Absolute Beginners (AWESOME!)
    -2 Battle Angel Alita:Last Order
    -2 Patlabor
    -The Compleat Moonshadow
    -2 James Kolchaka books

In the future, I'm planning the 2nd Blue monday collection, all the Hopeless Savages, maybe check out the Hellboy spinoffs; more Battle Angel Alita; More Osagi Yojimbo. I've read half of the Akira series, and all of Preacher (though I don't own it) I'm going to start on Metropolitain soon.

I also want to check out Scooter Girl (by Chyna Chugston-Major of Blue Monday fame), Craig Thompson's stuff (Goodbye, Chunky Rice and Blankets) and the new Marvel series, 1654 (I think?)

I read a few webcomics, I'm always on the lookout for new ones that interest me, the number of very talented individuals is stunning. There have been a few webcomics I saw, was stunned by, but, alas, I could not find the address for them again. :(

Ones I read:
    Achewood
    Diesel Sweeties
    Barrett's Lament
    Penny Arcade
    Life of Riley
    8-Bit Theater
    Sinfest

Ones I used to read:
    Movie Punks
    Nothing Nice to Say

My friend and I may one day produce a comic. Though it may be wishful thinking, I'm hoping it will happen.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use to have thousands when I was younger but nowadays....I really like Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series and have all of those!!

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have issue #1 of Dark Knight from way back in almost mint condition.

Ive had it since I was tiny. Is it worth anything?

Oh, and while not in the same vein, check out Harvey Pekar's "American Splendor." I saw the movie based on his comics and life and Ive been meaning to read the comics. Its really cool stuff.

Peace
    Nick

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i collected from the ages of 7 until about 15, have 10 or 12 long boxes packed full. while i can't possibly do a complete run-down, some gems:

xmen 140-330 and lots of all the x spin offs
    massive #s of each of the spiderman titles
    all of clive barker's hellraiser (excellent)
    spawn 1-30

someday, they will buy me a car. or something.

7. Haven't done much collecting in the last 5-6 years, started in the early 70s. Yes I bought X-Men 94 off the shelf new and still remember 25 cent comics.

Hellboy
    Sandman-pretty much the whole Vertigo line originals
    Shade-someday I will understand what that was all about
    Preacher
    Dark Knight
    Juddge Dread-the originals
    Peter Bagges -Hate
    pretty much bought into the Alternative press stuff in the early 80s, lots of titles that only went for a few issues.
    And the Piece de Resistance: A compleat collection of The Defenders including all first apearences
    For those non-comics guys thats like saying I have the compleat Barry Manilow collection including Bootleggs haha.

Plus a stack of acctually collectible Golden age and Silver age stuff.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have the original series of The Tick, complete, all first editions. You may all bow down to me now.

Ahem...

SPOON!

9. Oh yeah? well I have the special device kit with the acctual plastic SPOON and the straw of LEATHAL OXYGEN DEPRAVATION!! SO THERE HA!

TICK RULES.

Oh, and i just remembered i have the Sandman Tarot card set in box somewhere.

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i still have ALL the comix i collected as a youngster.

mostly undergrouds.

zap
    slow death
    lots of vaughn bode (some really rare early stuff)
    richard corben
    berni wrightson (the only overgrounds i have are swamp thing 1 -10 DC)
    RAW
    giger
    yellow dog
    trashman

i'm a big greg irons fan too:

[​IMG]

rick griffin is a fave:

[​IMG]

f

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I used to have every single Spawn comic starting from number 1 on. Once I got to around 100 or so I started losing interest. I just gave them away. The whole point of the story was Spawn was supposed to have limited powers, and the series would have a definite end within a few years. Now that Todd McFarlane is making millions off it, I don't think he's going to quit anytime soon.

I'm starting to get interested in comics again after a 15 year hiatus. What's this Cerebus thing I've been hearing about?

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was/am a big fan of the Star Trek comic books before Next Generation.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cerebus is good. It looks kind of Sunday paper, but it's got very solid writing and stories.

It's also been going on for quite some time. Good luck if you wanna start from the beginning.

Fred: Good to see I'm not the only one who's heard of RAW.

14. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I did not read comics at all until I was in College. The only one I read then was Alan Moore's Watchemn. An EXCELLENT read! After college I got into Hellboy, and I am enjoying the BPRD stuff. I also read Dan Burton's (?) The Nocturnals. Both comics have great art and stories. I have been reading more of Alan Moore's stories such as The Courtyard. Alan Moore is a mad genius, and some of the stuff he writes and draws is VERY graphic. I am a huge fan of Knights of the Dinner Table. HODDY HOO!!!!

I went to San Diego for the huge comic book convention. They have a lot of other stuff too. I got to listen to Isac Asimov, Matt Groening, and Mark Hamil talk about sci fi and comics.

Fun trip......

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was really into X-Men until they started getting into all of the alternate realities and alternate futures and future realities and parallel future summer camps.

I do, however, wish I had a chance to pick up "Origins", because Wolverine OwNz0rs. I will get around to buying it someday.

I own all first runs of every issue of the original four book "Gambit" series. No one really cares but me.

I enjoyed "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" for a while. My girlfriend bought me the entire series, and then I went and picked up "Squee". I liked the Squee series better.

Let's see... one of my favorite bands, Coheed and Cambria, will release the story that their albums are based on in comic book form. I think that kicks ass.

Um... I know enough to realize what story arc the ending of the second X-Men movie is pointing to. :D

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    For part of my arts requirement, I took "art in the mass media," an intro level class. The professor used the class as a platform to show off his comic collection...
    ...now, I have nothing against comics, and I understand their influence on many people, but I definitely think the guy should've had a better name for the class instead of tricking me into the history of the comic book!
    :) :spit:

17. Now you definitely ARE my doppelganger. I didn't think more than 5 people actually knew who James Kochalka is....though I haven't actually read his books...just his online comics and listened to his music.

18. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    The Tick pwnz j00 all.

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I used to live in VT, and it was my brother that turned him on to me. (First he CD, Monkey v. Robot) then he got me a couple of his books. One of which he got signed!! (^_^) But, yeah, he's a great cartoonist, and Top Shelf Comics is a great publisher.

20. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I have a huge box full, I don't even know what's in there? :confused:

I have the first copy of "Drama" signed by Michael Linsner.
    I've got a bunch of Razor, lady death, and I even have a couple of Danzig's Verotika. For some reason, I just stop collecting.

But my all time favs are "Faust" and "EO" I love Tim Vigils art work.