1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

coming back

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey,

I am a junior at the US Merchant Marine Academy. I used to play bass (electric) through my senior year of high school in the jazz bands and a small rock group with my friends. Once I came to the academy I pretty much stopped altogether. Between going to out to sea, being a plebe (freshman), and small dorm rooms (or barracks as we like to call them) I never got my bass here and have pretty much not played for a little over 2 years now.

I know I could go home right now, put some of my old jazz music on a stand (with notes, not chords) and play it (for the most part...probably forgot what some notes on some frets are). I'm still able to read music as I play trombone in the regimental band here, and there are no school run opportunities to play my bass, other then in my room or with a kid who maybe can play guitar. I'm thinking about trying to make some room in my room and bring my bass back this weekend.

I have two questions. Seeing as how my bass has been packed away for so long would it be a good idea to go get new strings and a tune up? And, how should I go about getting back into it? Just re-playing some of my old jazz music and messing around with songs on my computer that I like? That will probably be the extent of what I can do with it at school, but I was wondering if there were any routines you guys would recommend. Thanks. Davygravy