Coming out of (semi) retirement.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zoom, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Hi all,
    I've been checking out this forum for a couple weeks now. This is great. I wish I had access to a forum such as this, years ago.

Now for my question...
    I need a new amp & speaker rig.
    Looked at the brochures & have tried a few pieces.
    I'm thinking of an Ashdown ABM 300 or 500 EVO head & ABM MINI 48, paired up with an ABM MINI 15 speaker cabs. (Ease of transport is a major consideration).

I'd appreciate any & all comments regarding these items, especially from those of you who own or have played them.

Almost forgot.....
    style of music played, will vary widely, from experimental rock, to "quieter" stuff like folk, and even ambient music. Yeah I know.....
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

welcome to talkbass. saw that this was your first post, just wanted to welcome you to the nuthouse :D.
  3. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks John.
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Welcome Zoom

If a main concern is portability and still enjoy the versatility of a more clean or Hi-Fi sound look into Euphonic Audio, which is has a new more powerful Mosfet (I belive) head and all new CxL speaker systems. The CxL 112 is reviewed here and said to be outstanding.
    Acoustic Image is about to start shipping an upgraded (more powerful) head. There Clarus amps are very small and light yet have quality tone.
    Flite Sound builds speaker systems from a light weight, honeycomb-like urethane core composite. There 112H weights in at 26 lbs.
    Then there's AccuGroove speaker systems. I mention them because regardless of size and weight you might see (should hear) somthing you might be interested in.
    The up side is there are many fine products out there and before you lay down your hard green you should take the time and cover all your options. And if you find somthing you can't get to audition someone here probably has, just ask.

Zoom...? Do you ride a road bike?
  5. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks Vic, for the info.
    ...and yeah on the road-bike. ;^)
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Keep reading posts for a while before you buy. Then try as many amps that meet your criteria as possible.
    If you are not a total mental case (Like Me), you may find something and stick with it.
    There are some excellent people with lots of knowledge here.
    You'll see.
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Welcome to TB!
    If portability is a major thing consider Bag End cabinets. After dragging around my bveloved Eden 410XLT for several years I have just started to use a BE S15-D. Most of my gigs are medium size pubs/bars. The Eden is sitting all alone these days.

Another thing - I used to really like the Eden coloring of tone (or your flavor Ashdown, SWR or whatever). The Bag End has turned me more toward the flat so-called "hi-fi" tone. The Euphonics recommendation would do those things nicely too - portability and clarity of tone.
  8. Welcome Sir Zoom! ;)

Sorry but I can`t comment on the gear you mentioned as I have yet to try it myself.

But welcome to talkbass!:D This site is killer and the members very helpful.You`ll like it here.