Coming out of the closet...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonahlane, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    You all have heard it before.

I was a super huge fan of bright piano-like stainless steel roundwound strings
    I put a set of chromes on my p bass and hated it at first.

Now I can't stand the super bright thin sound of the rounds.

I like flats better.

Pier_, Woofer, Treebeard and 9 others like this.
  2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Welcome! We have cookies! Or, had..

3. Do you play in a band? Are you saying flats work better for you in a live band situation?

4. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I just got two sets of Chrome's off Amazon for pennies. (Warehouse deal :). Will get a set on my PJ soon. I hope that I feel the same way as you. Not sure where the 5 string set will end up....

5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Once you go flat....you can't go back :bassist::):cool:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Ahh... the memories of that epic out of the closet thread.

I tried it once. I mean hey, YOLO... and it wasn't for me.

Still love my roundwounds.

jwilson67, dpaul, 4dog and 3 others like this.
  7. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    I will gladly stay in the closet with my roundwounds thank you very much. I need the high end and sparkle. It's much easier to dial that out than to add it in when it's not there in the first place.

PsyDocHill, LowB-90 and 4dog like this.
  8. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I thought you were going to tell us you enjoy Rollerblading.

9. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I go both ways nowadays, but prefer the rounds.

LCAirPasta and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I have a Precision with Chromes. I think it's a perfect match.
    I have a Precision with Nickel Rounds (Fender). I think it's a perfect match.
    They both do what they do very well.

Glad you found your sound.

Kukulkan61 and 47th Street like this.
  11. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm a fence sitter with pressurewounds.

Kukulkan61, PWRL and Joedog like this.
  12. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I use tapes in a band setting and they sound great. I don't see why chromes wouldn't.

tekhedd likes this.
  13. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Glad you are digging em. I feel the same way about LaBella Tapes. I was like, "They're so effortless to play and sound so much better than rounds. Why did I never use these before?!"

47th Street likes this.
  14. wmhill

wmhill Inactive

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I try the flats once every 10 or 15 years, just to see what the fuss is about...... still haven't figured it out yet. Please pass the S.S. rounds

ctmullins, jwilson67 and 4dog like this.
  15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    First thing I thought of too! That was one of the most epic TB threads of all time.

16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    No one but us can tell the difference (and not even we can), so might as well play what we enjoy.

Personally, I dig low tension flats because I'm a big pansy with no callouses anywhere. Rounds are to my fingers what a cheese grater is to a carrot.

Then again, I'm gassing for a fanned fret sixer, and flats wouldn't be my first choice on that one...

Element Zero likes this.
  17. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Yeah, same thing happened to me. The local Music Go Round accidentally ordered a bunch of 5 string sets of chrome mediums, so I got a set really cheap to play with, mostly because I'd seen all the silly old people on talkbass that think flats are some sort of magic formula or something. Haha look at me with flats!

And it's like a sort of magic forumla. Oh, and *that's* what the tone knob is for, and *this* is why Rio Grande Muy Grande pickups put out so much bottom end, and now what am I going to do with all these other basses set up for rounds?

I also like tapes. I can't seem to find a set of tapes with enough tension for my detuned setup, but I'm not giving up yet.

Josh Kneisel likes this.
  18. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    a Flat & tapes man myself, I dislike when I go to a store and have to deal with the zing zing zing of roundwounds and the harsh feel

I am surprised Fender doesn't send out their P-basses stock, stung with flats....apparently it is THE sound...I would think it would help sell more basses or, more strings as people find out they like the sound and feel...also newer players may find the flat wound feel easier on their fingertips as they have no calluses yet and would be more attracted to the bass
    IMHO

19. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I like and use both.
    Does that make me Bi-stringual? :unsure:

tekhedd, mikeyjm2, JeffC23 and 3 others like this.
  20. One bass with rounds, one bass with flats. Everyone knows! It's the only way

Joedog likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021