Coming out of the closet...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonahlane, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Flats have their place. Some basses seem to cry out for them. That's when I answer the call.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have a set of Thomastick flats for my P that i'll throw on occasionally. They're interchangable with Thomastick SuperAlloy's (all i have to adjust is intonation), but for the most part, my basses get rounds.
    My Jazz, however, has Thomastick flats always.

Tony B. Filthy likes this.
  3. I always say I love flats, they're on my main bass. But then I hear this:

And I want some fresh steel rounds. But I hate how they feel

4. When I saw the title of the thread I thought Tom Cruise was going to be in here somewhere :bag:.

5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Nickel Rounds on everything 'cept the fretless, which has pressurewounds. I've tried to like flats, but I'll pert near sprain my fingers if I play 'em - I need some clank, and if the strings don't give it to me, I can't stop myself trying to beat it out of 'em.

6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    If you're a working bassist, ya gotta have at least one bass lying around with flats on it. No doubt.

7. I have one precision that I have chromes on that when used with a certain amp sounds amazing. Everything else gets SS rounds.

Your tastes might swing back the other way after the new sound wears off a little, so I wouldn't get rid of all your SS strings quite yet.

While I absolutely love the midrange thump that p bass with the flats has, I would truly miss the growl I get from SS rounds. You might find yourself in the same circumstance in a couple months.

8. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I go through phases

Right now it's TI flats on the Rick and rounds on the fretless

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    On my 5 string P bass. Send them to me and I will use them for you cuz I like you. :D

10. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    I’ve got my prosteels still on my Aerodyne. The band I’m in calls for both the thumpy flats and growly rounds at different times.

JGbassman likes this.
  11. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Gotta have one P with flats and one with rounds!

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I'm grateful to have internet friends like you! They will arrive on the 32nd!

I have modern active 5 strings. Think I can use a spare set of strings to justify a passive 5er purchase?.......

two fingers likes this.
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I like flats cause they're smooth, and they don't chew up my callus' or my frets.

14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    There are always those that say they can roll off highs and get the same tone with rounds. I always wonder what kind of flats they've tried or if they've ever tried any at all. That may be possible on some basses, but it's definitely not the case for many others. My experience has been that on some of my bases, flats produce tones that rounds simply can't, regardless of how the tone knob and amp EQ is set.

A suggestion for those trying flats for the first time; play in a live setting with a full band. What you think you don't like at all about flats on your bass in your bedroom may be what you love about them in a live band setting.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  15. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    I don't like chromes

But I like flats ... I am currently using fender flats, can't remember the type but they have the green ends

Lights on my j

Medium on my precision

16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've always put flats on everything, my basses, guitars, steels, and if I had a car it'd have flats too. but all my bass buys this year came with rounds and I can't bring myself to changing them, I dig whatever brands are on them except at least the G on my G&L L2K will get something more suitable. in fact I plan on trying a set of LaBella 760Ns (black tape) on the G&L just because Yardbirds bass man Kenny Aaronson loves them on his G&L Jazzer.

upload_2017-8-31_19-36-28.png

17. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    you're welcome :D

in my life as a bass player I've always found that flats are my "working" strings.

rounds (for me) are the playful strings, I use them mostly at home when I want to "millerslap" or hear the metallic sound full with overtones, harmonics and these things.

but when I play in a band, even in "rock" bands, I still prefer flats, and if I need some grit and metallic sound, here comes the overdrive :p

18. This is so true. I was doing an outdoor show last week and was having a hard time getting my mid forward p bass with SS rounds to cut the mix right. I switched to my other p with flats and it had the perfect sound I wanted. So I believe the strings made the difference there

19. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I just can't get with flats. I've tried - honestly. But then again I don't like anything flat....:D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021