1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coming Soon! Mike Lull V4 Spalted Maple/RW

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Nov 16, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    While poking around the Mike Lull section on my website yesterday, I decided I needed to beef up my 4-string selection a bit. I called out to Seattle, and Mike let me know about this gorgeous bass that he had ready to go. He had me at "spalted".

I don't know the complete specs yet, but I'll get those sometime today and get the bass listed on my site. For now, I hope you enjoy their pic as much as I do!!

Mike Lull V4 (Spalted Maple)
    V4-SPALTED-RW.

2. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sexy! I have my M5V in my lap as I type this...just happened to be practicing while surfing TB. Good times.

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, and Mike also educated me a little bit about the key differences between the various "Jazz" models he offers. These are the baseline specs, options exist to take most of these models further in the vintage or modern direction.

UV4 = full size body, 20 frets, passive (as vintage as it gets)

V4/V5 = full size body, 21 frets, passive (pretty darn vintage, just with one bonus fret)

M4V/M5V = 7/8 size body, 21 fret neck, active (a nice mix of vintage and modern features)

M4 = 7/8 size body, AAAAA Maple Top, 21 frets, active (mostly modern, but 3 frets short of 24)

M4XL/M5 = 7/8 size body, AAAAA Maple Top, 24 frets, active is standard (as modern as it gets)

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Mmmm!

5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
  6. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Oh man, what a pretty bass! That's the first V I've seen with a top, and it looks terrific!

IMO, it gets no better in Lull Land than one of Mike's alder + rosewood basses. The tone is just as magical as it is diverse. And those Fralin's? Slurp. I predict this one will have a very short stay in Blacksburg.

7. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Beautiful Bass man.....I've been looking to buy an M4V but haven't been able to find a great selection anywhere...

8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Two words: this one.

I consider myself a "5" guy, but I almost bought this one for myself. I decided to be patient and ordered an M5V pretty much just like this one (trans black instead of red, some slight electronic differences). You can hear me playing the red 4 here:

"(I Know) I'm Losing You" (The Temptations)

Lull also has a natural ash/maple M4V with a black pickguard in stock at their shop in Seattle. Without the dots, it's quite a bit less money. I almost grabbed it, too, but money did not permit at the moment. If you're interested, I can share a picture and get you a price quote - just PM me if you'd like that. I could have them ship it straight to you from Seattle, and that'd save you 5% over buying it direct from them...

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
  10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Whooooo - the first pics I posted were a tad nuclear. I toned down the yellow a bit, and now they look much more life-like. Sorry if I scared anyone off with the day-glo sunburst finish. :rollno::D:D:D

11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Jim (JBFLA) was nice enough to pass along a clip of him playing a Mike Lull M4 with the Fralin single coils in it. He says it was recorded with the bass in passive mode, so this is just the passive single coils you're hearing (plus whatever studio trickery may have been employed - EQ, compression, etc.).

The clip sounds great to my ears. Really nice job, Jim! And thanks for sharing.

"I Believe" (JBFLA)

12. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Yeah, the producer/engineer loves him some compression.

After hearing the master I remember thinking "Where's the fret noise, where's the string noise, where's the bad technique?"

Points for post production and mastering work...

13. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Nice clip, Jim!

Man, this really is a fantastic bass. Almost makes you want a clear pick guard to show off more of that top. Beautiful bass.

14. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Thanks Jerry - means a lot coming from you!

Back story -
    I got a call from Terry Brock ( recorded and toured with Kansas) whom I played with at Margaritaville in Key West.
    The producer/engineer of this track had accidentally erased the bass track of a current project and needed to borrow a bass to re-create the original track.

In return to loaning him one of my basses, I would get the chance to lay down tracks on his projects.

Seems he's moved to Europe, with my bass and with no further commitments, but it is was it is and I still have this example of my Lull M4 to exhibit. Those Fralins are worth every penny in my mind.

Thanks Greg for posting this for me!!

15. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Oof...sorry to hear about the loss of the bass, but what an amazing story! Just listened a second time...great track, and terrific playing.

Totally agree on the Fralins. My M4V has them, and they're just fantastic. Total vintage vibe, but with a little extra muscle. They play beautifully with the Bart NTBT as well.

16. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Yeah, they are something special. I've got a CAR Lakland JO5 with the same pups and it sings. Not the same as a Roscoe "B" string but totally useable.

17. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    I played this while it was still in Seattle, Great Bass! I thought it had the aguilar PUs in it but maybe not.

Dont forget: The UV4= 7.25 radius with vintage frets while the V4 has 12" radius :)

18. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Mike offered to put hum cancelling PUPs in it if I really wanted them, but I decided to keep it old-school with the Fralins that were in it. I just plugged it in to make sure I heard SC noise (I did), and I also checked the invoice (Fralins are what's on the paper).

Good tip on the FB radii. Thanks!!

19. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^ ^ IME that is the only potential downside to the Fralins, at least in comparison to the Lull-spec"d Duncans Mike uses. I assume it's because they're a bit hotter (don't trust me on that...I know as much about pickups as I do fretless intonation), but in the wrong room the hum can get ugly when you favor a pickup. Side note - I have no direct experience, but I've heard the Aguilars are even worse. The price of barking with the big dogs, right? :)

I really like this bass. Someone, please buy it so I go no further with my nasty thoughts. Every bass collection should have a pretty passive J, right? Argh...there I go again.

20. derrellvis69

derrellvis69

Aug 23, 2006
    Colorado
    Well of Course!!! gotta take it "Old Skool" from time to time!!