1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

COMING SOON! Peavey versus.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benthughes, Feb 18, 2008.

1. So I had some GAS that needed treated. I didn't have the money to buy another Zon, Roscoe ect. to feed the need. Therein lies the experiment.

I bought a used Peavey Cirrus Tigereye 5er after reading some great reviews. I got a pretty good deal and still have enough money to eat during my class in march. I've heard that the Cirrus stands up to botique basses costing twice as much. I'd like to find out.

It'll be the Cirrus versus the family. I'll record a couple tracks in a couple different styles ( or my poor bastardization of what I think a style should be) and some solo stuff and see how it stacks up.

I'd also like to get your input on how these basses do for you. Is it your main player? Trusty backup? Wall candy? What else are you rocking? I understand these basses are quite underrated so lets see! Granted I'd rather have a new Zon or Roscoe but......

The competition!!!

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Is that a MIM or MIA p/j?

3. It's a MIM Deluxe P-Bass. It's got 1/4 pounders, an Audere pre and a Badass bridge. Sounds really, really good. Doesn't do the vintagey thump of the original alnico/noisless combo but damn..... it's my cheapest bass ( before parts ect....) but I loves it.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hmm, nice. I have the same...except stock pups and stock pre.

So you like the 1/4 pounders?

5. Subscribe, I wanna see this.

6. A Cirrus Tigereye 5 is one of my "Desert Island" basses... The only reason I sold my Cirrus was so that I could afford my Modulus. They are really great for the buck, and have quite a unique sonic character to them. They used to be common over here in Sweden, but they seem to have dissapeared from the market. I've never seen a Tigereye over here though...

The Cirrus B-string is one of the best on the market. And the mid-sweep control on the Tigereye version make them even more versatile.

Are you getting one with Ebony or Maple fingerboard? In any way, we demand pics of it!

7. Heres a pic from the auction. More when it shows up. Ebony board BTW :bassist:

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Interesting thread.
    I own a Cirrus a Spector Euro and 2 Zon Sonus, so I`d like to hear your opinion.

Among the basses you own, the one that`s closer in terms of sound is probably the Spector. They both share that defined, pingy sound and both share humbuckers, active preamps and neck thru construction.

I personally prefer the Cirrus, since the neck profile is slimmer and it`s lighter also, making it easier to play during long gigs.

Besides, it has a 3 band preamp with sweepable mids and no other of yours has one. It`s a terrific bass and my favourite one along with my Zons, although they`re different beasts.

9. The Spector Euro has the EMG BQC preamp which is B/T/Sweepable mids. That should be a pretty close approximation of the Cirrus Pre. I'm hoping it has the same kind of vibe as the Euro. I absolutely love the tone of that bass. Pure balls!

10. Nice Cirrus! Exactly like the one I would like.

Having played both American Spectors and Cirrii, I agree on that they are similar in tone. But the Spector sounds a bit smoother, and zingier to me, while still punchy.

The Cirrus basses have a more throaty voice, harsher in the midrange, and a bit more comressed/focused sounding.

At least my Cirrus did, an alder body, maple top and rosewood board. Though I imagine that the mid-sweep control can smoothen the sound.

Oh, and feel fre to PM me (or not) and tell me how much you payed for it, so that I can feed my rage over high instrument prices in Sweden.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree.
    Both share similar tonal characteristics, but I find the Spector a bit more midrange aggresive (or growly) versus the more compressed Cirrus sound.

I also find easier to dial a good Pbass sound with the Cirrus.

12. Tones aside, my Cirri can outplay darn near anything.

After seeing this, I decided to compare my fretless 5 to my Conklin fretless 6. Naturally, the Conklin is made better and the piezos and all sorts of electronics make it a tad more flexible. When it comes to playability, the Cirrus still holds its' own to a Conklin costing roughly 3x the price.

I can't really draw comparisons to my Rob Allen basses since they're such different beasts going for entirely different vibes.

13. Thanks for the input guys. I've already thrown down some tracks with my other basses. They're all quite different, I keep forgetting how great the G&L sounds.

BTW.... I'm likin' me some Surface to Air!!

14. How is this project coming along?

15. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Most people will not agree with me on this but after owning Musicman sterling, zon sonus 5, fender 51 p (r i) and other basses, the tone, feel and versitility of a fender jazz "does it" for me. And the price is an added bonus

16. What has this got to do with the thread?

17. Just subscribing. This should be good.

18. The bass arrives tomorrow! I'll probably mess with it for a day or so then do some more recording.

I'm a bit anxious about having such a large body of great bass players around to see this. Hell.....it's your ears :smug:.

I'm excited about this project too.

19. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Just for you OWL......Guiness is my favorite beer

20. Cirrus arrived today. I really like the top but the neck is a killer birdseye. The bass is a bit heavier than I thought it would be, which is good It's a very solid feeling instrument.

Of course it came with Jamerson's original strings....dead as hell. The strings were also a good way off the fingerboard. The neck, however, was dead straight. No high frets...nothing.

Right now the strings are off, the board is being oiled and it's about to get a setup