Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coming to New York City. What's of bass-related interest?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jan 29, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I am going to be visiting NYC for a week starting the 25th of Feb. I'd like some suggestions for any interesting music shops/gig venues/luthiers to visit, etc...

Does the Fodera shop take visitors? I'm hoping to try some of the high-end US makes that you just can't get over here.

2. David, firstly visit the famous 48th Street. It's located on West 48th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, but, closer to 7th. This is the street which used to have about a dozen different guitar shops on it, now it's basically Manny's, Sam Ash (which has about 75% of the space here) and Rudy's which is closest to 7th Avenue. Rudy's has Pensa~Suhr and a few other high end lines. Sadowsky would be a 15 minute subway ride to Brooklyn from 48th St. Let me know if you need any directions.

Good to have you as a visitor. PM me if you need any other info.

Mike :)

3. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Just got back from a trip to NY. Not really bass related, but I found it peaceful to visit strawberry fields and the John Lennon memorial in central park. Also, there is a very cool musical instrument exhibit at the met, right now.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Fodera has been known to take visitors (I got lucky myself), but they are pretty touchy about it - DO NOT just show up at the front door expecting a warm welcome. If you are interested in seeing the shop, I recommend that you call ahead and try to arrange an appointment. No guarantees, but they may be more than happy to have you visit, depending on the situation.

Also, check out the Sadowsky shop, he has a showroom, so I'm sure there will be no problem getting in there. PM TBer Nino Brown for information on visiting there, as he works part-time for Roger. Roger, whom I've never met in person unfortunately, seems to be a really nice guy - always has time to chat with me on the phone when I call the shop to confirm serial numbers on trade-ins and to get pricing information on them.

Keep the thread bumped up, the Noo Yawkahs will eventually chime in with some other great ideas for you, I'm sure! :D

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I would try to catch a Fuqua gig.
    (And bring a pea-shooter).

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (BUMP)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll be sure to send an e-mail to Fodera over the weekend.

I'm also open to suggestions on ANYTHING to see or do while I'm in New York. We've already planned on a trip to Strawberry Fields and the Lennon memorial, and are hoping to meet up with Royston Langdon (ex-Spacehog singer).

I haven't been to the US before, but me and my friends aren't all that interested in doing all the "obvious" tourist things. We want to get off the beaten track a bit, so to speak.

JimK...
    I'm also planning a visit to that Downtown Music Gallery... going to pick up that Sakata/Laswell/Drake/Cosey disc in person!

7. David, one CD store you MUST go to is: www.jandr.com It will blow your mind.

I'll think of things you and your friends can do over the weekend.

Mike

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DMG keeps pinging those e-mails on me. Sounds like a cool place to hang out.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, I've heard the same, Roger is supposed to be one of the nicest guys in the industry.

10. Try to get in Letterman's show and watch Will Lee do some chops. BB King was on last night and the old basic blues walk that Will was doing sure sounded good on my surround sound. I tape Letterman every night and watch it over breakfast. Love Will's style. I don't think I've ever heard him trash a note .

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    when you get into NYC, grab a copy of the VillageVoice. It will have all the club/show listings of who is in town playing that week.

hope this helps

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (BUMP)

Have e-mailed Fodera, but am waiting for a response.

I've been getting plenty of ideas from colleagues that have also been to NYC in the last twelve months.

I'm going to set-up an online album to show the music-related highlights of the trip. Just a fortnight to go!

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Aren't those reputed to be the hardest tickets to get in NYC? Seriously, if you can go, go, but it ain't easy to get in.

14. It is very difficult to get into "Dave" to see "Will". You can get them way in advance, but they reserve a number of seats for standby each night, and they have a standby line that you have to wait in all day, and then your chances or very slim. Seems I heard they do the standbys by a lottery. I used to visit a Letterman news reader group often , and many people shared their experiances from attending the taping. They all had accolades to say about the band. Very loud, and very tight. I love to watch Will Lee. He plays so effortlessly, and looks as if he were born with that bass around his neck.

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Oh dear! Does that mean poor Roger S. will have to take a paternity test?:eek: :p

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    (BUMP)

Well, my flight leaves in 3 1/2 hours, so this will my last post for a while! Thanks for the suggestions.

I never did get a response to my e-mail from Fodera. I've got their phone number and will ring them to try to arrange a visit.

I got in touch with our own Nino-Brown. Sadowsky is open to visitors every day between 9 and 5.

Take care everyone,
    DB