1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coming to NY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TroyK, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I mentioned this in someone's Brooklyn gig spam message a few months, back but the time is here, so I wanted to post again.

I'll be in NY next week Mon (4/6), Tues, Thurs and Friday nights, leave sometime Saturday. Taking Amtrack down to DC to see Butch Warren on Wednesday.

A trumpet player I hang with here had some airline vouchers and wanted to see Tom Harrell, who is at the Vanguard all week. There are some other good shows that we're going to try to catch, but I'd love to meet some of you and see your gigs (off the beaten path or otherwise) while we're there if possible, SO GIG SPAM ME NOW, Please.

Troy

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You miss us by a week dude. We're gonna be back at Sweet Rhythm on Sunday April 19th....but we're still gonna hook up for the session on Tuesday, right? If you feel like heading out to Park Slope afterward, there's a nice session at The Royale.

3. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ed, I'll PM you about the Tuesday session. Would love to. I think my traveling companion bough Tom Harrell tix for Tuesday, but it's not all night and we're happy to venture out to Brooklyn.

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll be away in Spain during that time.. but man, enjoy Tom Harrel!

5. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Hey Troy, FWIW if you decide not to go to Brooklyn after the Vanguard, i'm playing 2 blocks away at Smalls that night. For this gig i'm playing tenor, and i've got the great Dwayne Burno on bass, as well as Quincy Davis on drums and Rob Bargad on piano. We hit at 10:30 and midnight. Just figured i'd put it out there, especially as you'll be right up the street. Of course i know how hard it can be to tear yourself away from Fuqua...

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Man we should all fall by Small's, Doo Ane is a BAD mofo and Mike hisownself is a tenorist of Very Happeningness....

7. TroyK,

There's a chance I'll be at Columbia Station next Wednesday for Butch Warren's gig. If so, I'll try to find you and say hey. I'll be the middle-aged, fat, white guy with glasses! OK, to narrow it down a little more, I'll probably be wearing a black and white fedora.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I will be at Columbia Station that night to see Butch. We'll find each other.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

9. Troy,

stop by the jam session at Cleo's Friday and Saturday night. starting at 12:30. I'm in the house band.

93rd and broadway

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Kevin. I'll put it down for Friday night!

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    So Troy did indeed fall by the Tuesday Night Self Deprecation Society but, do to my inexcusable tardiness, we were like unto ships passing in the night. He did get to thump one on the studio bass with the cats, it was nice getting to hear him play.

Also due to my ancient decrepitness and it being a "school night" I dint go hang the way I threatened, but Troy and his buddy Dave did.

So TROY - regale us with stories of Harrell, Karn and Warren! And if you got to hang with Kevin at the Needle...

12. Troy left his mark at the Needle as well. Great guy, great hang, great player. We had a little TB meetup at the Needle with Dave Speranza (who just moved from Portland to New York), Troy, and Me.

13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Just got back to Seattle and need to sleep for 3 days. It was a great trip.

I will regale with stories when I'm better rested. Ed and Kevin, thanks for the welcome. It was great to meet you guys and hear you play. Wish the coasts were closer. And Dave, what a kick ass surprise running into you at 1:30 in the morning in the wrong timezone.

Let me get some sleep and I'll post some deeper commentary and color.

Troy

14. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, a little better rested. It was a great trip for me, I overpacked it a bit, but I wouldn't change a thing.

So, first things first, I met the great and noble Ed Fuqua, in the flesh. He was gracious to invite my friend David and I to sit in on a private session. We beat him there and when we walked into the room to 3 confused strangers, it occurred to me that it might be some kind of trap. His friends and bandmates couldn't have been more welcoming and I enjoyed playing a tune with them before Ed got there. Enjoyed meeting and hearing Ed play even more. Great guy, great player, nice session. I wish we could have hung a bit more, but there will be other trips.

Next my buddy and I went to the Village Vanguard to see Tom Harrell. I shook a bit when I first went in thinking of all that has happened there...or it could have just been the subway going by. I have been to New York several times before, but I've been saving the Vanguard for something. It was time and very special. Tom Harrell was...well he was Tom Harrell. I like his compositions and enjoyed seeing him play as well.

Rather than stay for the 2nd set, we walked around the corner to Smalls to see Mike's group. Smalls is it now. It may not have the history, but it's what we all think of when we think of a great hang with the best of the music we love. As for Mike...well I'm confused. Let's just say for a bass player he's one hell of a saxo-tenor. Explain yourself, Mike. Great show, great meeting you.

We were checked into The Jane Hotel, which might be cheap-cool-kitsch someday, but it was under construction, so in bed late and woke to hammers and power saws a few hours later, ouch.

Down to DC on Wednesday to check in with Butch. It was bitter-sweet. I've learned to love DC and the cats down there as so cool, I feel like a local when I'm there. I'll continue to take every opportunity I can with Butch. He's aged a lot in the year and a half since I was last there. He's a treasure and...well, we'll just leave it there. If you make it to DC, go see him with an open heart and no expectations. We stayed in a Hilton in Adams Morgan so that we could get some sleep. Beautiful, soft fluffy beds. Awoke at 8:00 to the wall shaking due to someone on the other side of it doing something untoward with a reciprocating saw. You've got to be kidding me? It's like I'm living in a Chevy Chase movie or something.

Back up to New York and a change of hotels to one just a few dollars more, not currently undergoing renovations and only a few blocks north.

Fat Cats on Thursday was a whole different scene. Also very cool, don't know quite why we don't have something like that in Seattle. Very divey, pool tables, shuffleboard, chess, a neighborhood garage sale of mismatched sofas and a loose pit bull wondering around. Never figured out if he was supposed to be there or not, but no one got mauled in the time we were there, so I guess all is well. And a couple of great bands for $3 cover for the night. Without a doubt the best deal in Manhattan. My friend Peter joined us. Peter fled Seattle for Philly some years ago and spends weekends in the Village where his girlfriend lives.

If I said that Peter has the best record collection any of us have ever seen, I'd be understating things significantly. If I said that I had been to used record stores that had less vinyl than Peter I'd be underselling him a bit. So, Friday started with hitting his favorite swaps and shops for my "souvenirs", I brought home a few CDs and a couple of pieces of hard to find wax...Peter bought a stack this high and put a stack on 24 hour hold. I wonder if he's going to have to annex his apartment at some point.

Then Friday night, we went to Birdland to see Joe Lovano, Hank Jones, George Mraz and Paul Motion. Thoughts;

1) Not my first trip to Birdland and it's as I remember. Great club and there needs to be places like that to feature people like Hank Jones, but I much prefer every other place I went on the trip.

2) I'm glad I saw Joe Lovano.

3) My second time seeing Hank Jones. He's a treasure. Love him, love his playing.

4) I'm also glad I saw George Mraz. He plays like he sounds like he plays. He's great at it. I should work on playing a bit more like that. Not my thing, but he does it exceptionally well. Does anyone know what the story with his "assistant" is?

5) Paul Motion...love those early Bill Evans Trio records. Bless his heart.

Then I did my best to fight fatigue on the last night of my trip and make it to the Upper West Side to meet Kevin and see his group. I'll skip to the end and say that I made it back to my room at about 4:15 am. Kevin's got a great session going there and once again I felt like I lived up the block and was there every week. I still can't get my mind around running into Dave, who is now rockin' a sweet Rufus Reid afro and still playing strong and soulfully. Turns out that, though The Chelsea Savoy wasn't under construction, 7th Ave in pretty noisy starting at about 5am on Saturday morning. I don't have any idea when I'll feel rested again, but there is nothing that I would give back. It was a perfect jazz road trip.

I think Phil said once that everyone from Talkbass that he has met is way cooler in person and I have to agree. Thanks to everyone who welcomed us to the fold. I've been to NY several times before, but this was by far the best trip I've had. The city looks great, if I had had this week when I was 19, I'm sure I would have moved there, had 10 room mates and tried to find myself. As it is, I'll look forward to my next visit.

Thanks guys, see you on the boards.

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a great trip.

Thanks for writing about it.

Someday I hope to spend that kind of NY time...Toting wife and kids has it's limitations.

TB cats are indeed very cool...much moreso in person I think.

16. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Sounds great Troy, thanks for taking us with you! :)

17. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice trip report, Troy! Glad I surprised you - I was lurking in this thread and figured it would be more fun for ya that way...haha