Coming to NYC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Oct 4, 2004.

1. I'll be coming to NYC November 17th through the 21st with my wife and some friends. The Univ. of Memphis basketball team is playing in some tournament at the MSG and I will be traveling up with a journalist who covers the team for the Memphis Commercial Appeal. This will be my 2nd trip to NYC and I want to see some things in Manhattan that I really did not get to see the 1st time around. I am also interested in checking out some our fellow TB member's gigs, if any are going on during that time.

I plan to check out all the music stores on 48th, and visit the Museum of Modern Art so far. What suggestions does anyone have for things to do in Greenwich Village, the East Village, and the Lower East Side. I felt that I neglected these areas the last visit. Where are some of the cool shops, restaurants, bars, to check out? Keep in mind that I am less interested in doing some of the most popular tourist stuff, we did plenty of that the last time.

I may check out some of the following music while I'm there:

Thurs 18th: Nathan East
    Fri 19th: Richie Havens
    Sat 20th: Either Little Feat or Steve Kimock Band

Any suggestions are welcome, especially from the locals or ex-locals. Thanks.
  2. I'll try to think of some ideas in the next few weeks, but I'm sure some other New Yorkers will give you some good ideas now.

Mike :)
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Even though it's a touristy thing, Ellis Island is excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Greenwich village has lots of great bars/restaurants, if you start at 7th Ave and walk east along Bleecker Street you'll find plenty. There's an old speakeasy Bar, Chumley's, round there which still has a false entrance so you'd walk by it otherwise. Also, the Peculier Pub has a large beer selection from round the world.
    There's a good local chain, Heartland Brewery, who brew their own beer and also serve pretty good food. They have locations in Union Square, South Street Seaport, 6th & 52nd.

It's impossible to go into everything there is, try some of the city guides like Joker mentioned. Another one is

enjoy your visit!
  5. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I appreciate it. I also looked in some older threads and got other ideas. I can't wait.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

NY is a great place, lots to do. I really miss it :bawl: