Coming up on my first anniversary with Sims Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knucklehead G, Nov 8, 2010.

1. More updates once I am not typing on a cell phone, about three hours.

2. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    bump

3. Now that I've got an actual computer (and a sandwich), I'll recap what transpired.

First, Patrick called back shortly after my failed attempt to call him. He was familiar with this thread and the ones at Unofficial Warmoth, as well as the complaints against him. While I did receive some answers as far as what was going on, we had to cut the call short as I was on a twenty minute break at work and we ran over that by a good ten.

My bass body was damaged and is not returnable, so he offered to either refund the cost plus the paint job, $500, or to replace the maple P bass body and paint it and send it back. He did say he could replace the body and paint it and get it to me faster than he could refund the money right now, but I've made it this long so I'm holding out for my $500.

I was not able to get an accurate timeline for the refund, but I did email him from my phone as soon as we got off of the call and hopefully we won't be looking at radio silence any longer.

Further updates as events warrant.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two words: Pat Wilkins.

I had some repair work done by Pat, and it was like a three-week turnaround. Whenever I called his shop, he answered the phone. No one does better finishes than Pat. Ask Roger Sadowsky and Bo Hanson.

5. I'm going to try and ReRanch my next bass, but if I need something fancy I'll look him up.

6. Just got off of the phone with Patrick. He says I will be getting my $500 back, he doesn't have it right now and it will be at least two months before he does. I guess I'm waiting, then.

7. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond.

Apr 14, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    Well, I received my Stingray from Patrick today, and I have to give the man his due props...he did a beautiful job! White with just a hint of pearl-blue, exactly as requested.

Can't wait to get her re-assembled! Should look killer with the stealth neck and hardware.

IMG_0945.gif
    IMG_0947.gif

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Did you use your credit card for payment?

Since the item has not been shipped/completed, there is no transaction and the 45 day time limit has not run out.

I was able to get money back from credit card on a custom bass after receiving the bass 4 months after payment because the bass was shipped 3 months and 20 days after payment.

9. So the issue is only if you dealt with him during or before 1/2010.

10. Debit through PayPal, after 45 I was SOL.

11. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Saddddddddddddd:ninja::rollno::scowl:

15 months later and you still have...

NOTHING?

He deserves a chapter in a Business School text book...

12. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Just thinking about this is really starting to piss me off!

What was his plan for you?
    Did he think you would just go away?
    If he's aware of this thread why didn't he jump in and say something?

There are plenty of credible business people on TB who speak up everyday to defend their products and/or business practices.
    The CEO's of Aguilar and Sadowsky to name few.

Everybody's struggling right now, EVERYBODY!!!

This is utterly and completely unacceptable and waiting 8 weeks on your refund is unacceptable.

There are 65,000 people on Talk Bass.
    Sixty-Five Thousand!
    And anyone with internet access can Google this thread.
    Remember that!

13. Waiting "at least" eight weeks, and I agree. Also this might be my only chance to get my money and at this point its like someone robbed me then offered to return it a year later: at least I've got something to (hesitantly) look forward to.

14. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Better you than me!

He would have been in court...

15. joesatch

joesatch

Mar 16, 2011
    I must chime in here and urge anyone considering sending their instrument or money to Sims to think twice. 4 years ago, i sent him my JS body to get chromed and $400. I have received nothing, not my money or my body back. I have emailed him numerous times and contacted him through various online forums. My emails have gone unanswered and he frequently gets booted from user forums after all the complaints. Patrick, if you read this, it's not too late to send me back my body. If you do, i will cease from posting my experience. You know who i am. Please do the right thing.

16. No updates on the money, all I've heard is that it would be more than eight weeks.

I did find something noteworthy though, on the BBB website:

That showed up after I filed a report with those guys, so I'm pleased to see they all work together. Now he's on the national and local listings.

Further updates as events continue to (probably not) happen.

17. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    What a headache!! That guy is a tool.

18. fsmith828

fsmith828

Jan 7, 2011
    I found out about this link in January after sending my Musicman Luke to Patrick to be repainted in September. After seeing the complaints here I started emailing him monthly and finally got the guitar back yesterday.

Other than the long wait and sparse communication I did finally get the guitar back.

He really did a a really nice job, all of the existing holes were clean and it went back together smoothly.

I'll post pics when I get it together and can get it out in the sun.

fred

19. I've received one email saying I still wasn't anywhere close to getting a refund, and more radio silence. Glad you got your guitar back, I know how difficult that is.

Pat Wilkins and that guy who does the glitter jobs have to be loving this, though.

How many months since 12/09? Eighteen? Seems reasonable enough.

20. Marty is the guy I was thinking of. If I don't ReRanch my next guitar, Marty will do it. I've found out what a cheap paint job involves so I'm going for the best next time.