Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COMMENT MY RIG!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I've changed my mind, i love hartke. I've been tryin out basses at my local music store for two years, and they've all sounded awsome, and when i use my crap poop expicit explicit rouge head, i get a crap poop expicit explicit sound. At the store, i was using the hartke 3500 and man have i become attatched to it. The store wont let me turn it past three, and believe me, reasonably so. The cabs are a hartke 210 tp and a 115 tp. I have a SWR jr. goliath now, which is like 5 times better than the hartke. I think i found my sanctuary of bassness. check it out....

Hartke 350-loud, small, very compatible. Love the tube, fx send, kick ass LED!!!

SWR goliath III- Cranks for a 210, and lots of punch. Not to mention i got it for $275 :p

Eden d-115- light, small, quality, cheap.

At this point, i'm going how i have heard it, im takin in my jr.on sat. and tryin it out. I think I will be quit pleased!

2. wheres the ampeg

heres my rig:
    Spector NS5-CRFM > Ampeg SVT4-pro > ampeg svt-810e..........OHHHHHHHH YEAH

i dont know about the carvin head man...havent heard many great things about them....get an ampeg...thats my advice...

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If you like it, you should get it. I'm not sure how reliable the Crate will be.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Funny, Crate and Ampeg are both brands of St. Louis Music!

The Carvin head will probably be adequate, but spend the extra $80 and get the R1000 instead. There's no substitute for power!

My brief experience with a Carvin RL610 stack was that bi-amping didn't sound as good as running both cabs full range. Try it both ways and see for yourself.

5. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I've had nothing but good luck and tones with Ampeg. That's 25 years worth brutha. I have to agree with Kreedog.
    <smiles> dD

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    In contrast, I've heard a lot of good things about Carvin amps. The R600 & R1000 are pretty good from the things that I've heard by word of mouth. I've never had the pleasure of trying them myself.

Very true. Especially if it's only $80.00 more. Get what makes you happy.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I've heard lots of good things about the Carvin, it's mainly just their cabs. Aside from the Crate as IVE heard bad things of them, everything else looks good.

8. Raging

Raging

Sep 9, 2001
    If you are looking for the best rig, get a 1989 Ford Aerostar. Oh yeah, that thing is sweet...

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What are you talking about?

The Aerostar sucked.

10. I agree with others - spend the extra $$ and go the R1000, you'll always want more power. The only other thing that doesn't quite ring right is the Crate cabinet (esp. if you'll be using a nice SWR as well).

Ampeg is good, Carvin is good. Go for what you can afford and like.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounded ok until you said "Crate". Remember, you're only as good as your weakest link, and thats a WEAK link.

12. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i agree with the other guys - go r1000 instead of r600. also, if you really want a 2x15, check out the sunn 2x15 instead of the crate. it might be about 60 bux more, but it's better.

13. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How much power can the Crate 2x15 handle? I know the Sunn can handle 300 watts which is kinda sad for a 2x15 in my opinion.

14. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i found an ultimate replacement for the crate. That my friend is the traid. played at my local music store, i almost begged to bring it home with me. That is one awsome sound. So ill go with=

carvin r1000
    swr goliath III jr.
    swr Triad

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That should be pretty decent.

16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    that will be a nice setup! im pretty sure someone here on teh boards (not sure who though) runs a triad on bottom with a goliath jr. on top.... anyone? where are you!??? the R600 is a great head, but more power can never hurt, defenitly get an R1000 if its at all possible. its 80 bucks, and 400 watts more. thats a ridiculous ratio of watts/$.

17. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i dont have that money lyin around. :( but what i definately can afford is swr son of bertha, looks pretty nice if you ask me.

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If money is an issue perhaps you might look at the SWR Workingman 15 + SWR Workingman 410.

Power that with your R600 or R1000 and you will have a good sounding rig, made by a trusted brand.

Good luck!

19. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    the son of bertha and the working man both look pretty good. The working man is cheaper, so is there a difference in quality?
    another question... i get the r600 and use the goliath and the working man, how many watts will i be pushing totally, and how much can the cabs handle?

20. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    The second rev. sounds delicious! I've heard some fabulous reports about the triad.

I've always wanted to give the SWR 2 x 15 a try, too. So many cabs, so little time and money!

:D