Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comment this article...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 5, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    This is only a light education on bass guitar manufacturing, with only the larger factories named. Within this document you will see certain brand names highlighted, these are the brands we carry. If you click on some of these names it will bring you to that companies web site. After you have visited those sites you may return and visit Mcguitar's on-line store. You will also see other terms or phrases highlighted. Please click on any of these words to learn more.

Some general rules:
    1."Always check what country a guitar is made in."(this affects every aspect of the instrument.)
    2.Different materials create different sounds and playabilities.
    3.Any well-made instrument can be adjusted to your desired action.(we can change many factors that lead to your playing comfort.)
    4.Since some brands use multiple factories in multiple countries, a brand name does not mean consistent quality.
    5."The pro players who endorse certain models or brands almost always play a very modified version of that instrument."
    Bass guitars are now made very economically in China. The quality is still what we consider at beginner level but manufacturers are just starting to present an acceptable product.

If you are looking for a bass to last awhile, at a very affordable price, the Indonesian manufacturers such as Samick(Samick factory) and Ibanez(Cor-Tek factory) are using higher quality cuts of wood and good, standard construction techniques. MEMPHIS, for example, is a product of the SAMICK factory.

Taiwanese-made bass guitars are rapidly becoming an easy way out for Japanese manufacturers like Jackson and Yamaha. With flashy, clean finishes and a professional look, they are generally priced too high for the quality and longevity that you get.
    Fender has a factory in Mexico that assembles instruments from parts made in Korea, Taiwan, and the rest of Asia. The instruments are no better than their Asian counterparts, and they are actually higher priced with a lesser warrantee.
    Korean-made bass guitars offer the highest quality at the lowest price. Samick is the largest bass guitar maker in the world. They make 60 instruments per minute, 720 per hour, 1,380,000 per year, and 4000 different models under 400 different brand names. That's over half of all guitars made each year! Here are some brand names that buy their guitars from Samick:
    Gibson(Epiphone), Washburn, Aria Pro, Rogue, Silvertone, Abeline, Boston, and many more.
    Cor-Tek is another Korean factory that produces basses for :
    Fender, Ibanez, HAMER, Cort, Hohner.

Godin/Lasido, a Canadian company, manufactures many different brand names as well as manufacturing bodies and necks for many U.S. manufacturers. (such as Music Man) They have nice fretwork, a unique sound, comfortable playability, and interesting design. They are priced slightly higher than a similar instrument made in Korea with not much more quality to offer.

Japanese guitars are some of the finest electric's made today. Most of the Japanese workers, such as Ibanez' luthiers, are musicians and take great pride in their work. The guitars are consistently built to high standards and are usually 'lemon-free'! The fretwork is some of the best in the world, while the hardware is very intelligently designed. We also see some of the choicest cuts of Asian and North American wood used in these instruments which enhances their tone, feel, sustain, value, and beauty.

American-made basses display the best ideas using the newest and best technologies. However, the quality at times is inconsistent. U.S.basses have the potential to sound and play the best, but one must find the genuine article. Many U.S. manufacturers hide behind the "U.S. Made" label using legal loopholes while most of the guitar is made cheaply in 3rd world countries. But a true U.S. made bass benefits from the best woods, factories, luthiers, and machinery. One such as G&L, Leo Fender's legacy company, in which the guitar is made to the exact standards, in the exact factory, that the classic 50's and 60's instruments were made. G&L makes some of the finest 4 and 5-string basses available today. Their many models such as the L-100, L-1500, SB-2, and ASAT represent the cream of American-made basses. 5-String Enthusiasts have been amazed at the tone, playability, and quality of the G&L L-2500.

taken from

www.mcguitar.com/BassGuitars.htm

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Pretty decent article, really. It's good only for factory-made basses of course, totally forgets european-made basses and has few out-dated facts, but in general, that's pretty good info for a beginner.

I think it might be few years old though, failing to mention such products as MTD Kingstons, Lakland Skylines and Warwick Rockbasses - all of which have set the Asian manufacture standards nowadays.

And I think Yamaha's taiwanese basses are actually pretty good value for their money :)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I think it's an interesting article. It's obviously got some really good facts, but seems a bit slanted. Most notably, the G&L basses mentioned at the end of the article are the only ones highlighted as being consistent, and favorites among players.

I understand that many players I've talked to like G&L products, many even own them. But, I have a hard time with this statement because I, for one, have never found one I like, where I have found other US luthiers work just as consistent and versatile as the claims laid in this article.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a very bad article where a lot of subjective opinions are mixed up with and presented as, facts!

It also ignores countries like the UK completely and implies a hierarchy that only exist in the writer's own subjective opinion, but this is presented as if it is as I say a given fact! :(

Bad writing!!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree with Bruce!!!!

7. i'd like to see some sources behind this. he could be making up every word of it.