comments & help on peavey cirrus 5??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basseddie, Jul 13, 2001.

1. What should I do.. today I walked into a semi local music store to pick up some bass strings, and while there I was looking at this peavey cirrus 5 string, the guy asked me if i wanted to try it, and like an idiot i said ....Ok, sure...
    well I thought this was a great sounding and playing bass,nice easy neck, sounds awesome.
    it is a neck through, 35 scale, 5 string, active with 3 band eq.

Has anyone got opinions of these things, as i am considering buying it. He is asking $1800 canadian, but i think he has had this one in his store a while because he let me take home the manual and a peavey magazine that was sealed in the case that comes with the bass. one article in the mag says .. so and so is going to release a new cd in 1999....
    this leads me to beleive that he has had the bass for quite some time.
    How bad do sales guys want to get rid of old stock???
    If I offer him 1800 including tax, cash out the door, that would be 1565 before tax (15%), do you guys think that is a reasonable offer???

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

basseddie, what kind of woods does that Cirrus have, and what kind of finish?

Sounds a little high for the 5 string, unless it is the tiger eye finish.
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Offer less money, "all he can say is no". The Cirrus is a terrific bass!
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    the Cirrus is a good bass... I think the price is a bit high.. you could probably get him to come down. Tell him you went to another mucis store and tried the same bass with the same wood and the guy offered it too you for less... hehe.. or go to other stores and actually try out some cirrus basses.. they are nice
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    How much would that be in American $?? I can't remember what the Canadian versus American dollar value difference is.

It is a great bass, though. I have had mine for over a year and a half, and still love it. I have yet to find a bass that I like better. I paid about $1300 (U.S.) for mine. I know that there are probably better deals to be had out there, but where I live, there is only one Peavey dealer within reasonable driving distance, so I had to take what I could get. In my opinion, though, the bass plays and sounds better than a lot of other brands that cost up to twice as much or more.
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I got my Redwood fretless Cirrus 5 for $1239 + tax with case last August from Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA. They had a great selection-6 or 7 Cirruses, 4, 5, 6 strings and fretless. The price I got was cheaper than any of the other stores where I´ve seen Cirruses, but I agree that $1500 is too much for a non-tigertop 5.
  7. Thanx for all the replies , Im still up in the air over this thing.
    Embellisher, the bass is a bubinga/walnut combingation with pau ferro fretboard.
    1800 cnd would be about 1170 us, but i have found that in the us price sheets, as in fender, the list price is about the same(a guitar listed for say 1200 us would be hanging in a store up here for about the same but 1200 cnd)
    I have been thinking maybe that the cirrus through the peavey 700 amp would sound great anyway, much better than my mim fender(with dimarzios) and fender bassman 100.
    The salesman did show me what the cirrus would sound like through a much smaller amp, which was not as good as the big amp, so i am thinking for now just get the amp. We were not playing at high volumes at all, you could still carry on a conversation.
    Decisions... decisions......still have to get it by my wife though. ha ha
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

basseddie, I apologize for not looking at your profile.

$1800 Canadian is about right for a 5 string Cirrus.

I almost bought a transparent crimson Cirrus fretless 5 in quilt maple, and I was gonna pay $1249 US$ for it, until I found a great deal on a used Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't think it's a bad price at all. I paid about $1300-$1350 U.S. for mine.
  10. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    This is like the best kept secret in the market.

Good Luck
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Everyone always talks about these basses! I'm soon thinking about taking a little road trip to philly to see if I can find somewhere that has one, so I can try it out. The Peavey dealer around me refuses to carry any of their good stuff in stock... Meaning all their Fenders are Squire and MIJ, you have to special order good stuff, meaning you can't try anything out before you buy it, unless it's pretty much a lower model. The best thing they have in the store's a BTB (which isn't even my cup of tea).

Although, I haven't heard any bad things about the Cirruses...